Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've posted a few times on my hunt for a Ducati. Finally sold my ST1100! So I'm laying awake nights thinking about Ducatis. I'm sure those of you afflicted can relate. Anyway, found a 95 900 in my price range that I would like some input on. Ad claims it has Ferraci exhaust, pistons, flywheel, ported heads, and proitalia clip ons, new Dunlops, 16k miles, many extras. Picture shows a fairing and possibly a corbin seat. Asking price $4500.

What would be your main concerns on this bike? I'm speculating that it had a bad head stud and owner got caught up in the "while in there" syndrom. What about realiablility/ longevity on a bike this modified? Of course there are many questions to be answers, ie, who did the work, receipts available, any stock parts come with the bike etc. But for the price it has gotten my attention.

I'm weighing the odds on a 900 carbed bike or a fuel injected 750. Horsepower/torque differences. Exploring all options.

Sorry. Didn't mean to ramble on but after watching this board over the last year I respect the knowledge and opinions represented hear a great deal. So ladies and gents, give me some feedback.

Mark
Central Texas

·
Registered
684 Posts
I love my fuel injected 750, that's about all I can say.;D Someday I might convince myself that I need a 900 or an S4, but I don't know; it's easy to imagine being quite content with the 750 for a long time to come; she's a beaut!

Good luck, and remember... Take your time - stop - breathe; you wanna spend your hard earned $$$ on a bike that's gonna do you right.

M

·
0 Posts
The concern about modifications is secondary to how well maintained and used the bike was/is. Regular oil changes and the right fuel and a Duc 2V can go damn near forever modified or stock....if the owner didn't elect to flog the piss out of it, it will last even longer.

Carb'd vs. FI is your call, I picked up a carb'd 96 M900 last year w/17k miles and no mods other than jets, exhaust and a tail-chop. I have since put 6K trouble-free miles on it and it has been a joy....has yet to fail me.....and I get the giggles of upgrading things as I go along with the money I saved buying an oldie

Earlier Cagiva Monsters were built with a little more attention to detail as the popularity of the model was in its beginning stage and demand was not necessarily outstripping supply. Today I believe the Monster series accounts for 55% of Ducati sales.

A bike with 16K miles should be thorougly gone over and dialogue with the current owner should be in-depth. Once you get past the overall first-flush look of the bike....start eyeballing the details,

are the

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Where is the bike located?

If it were within about 200 miles of the San Francisco Bay Area I would buy it tomorrow for that price if the engine seems to run cleanly. If the bike has high compression pistons and ported heads, there is no way you'll find any 750 Monster that will match the performance.

Buy it. You'll love the bike.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If I may, and not to burst your bubble...$4500 for a 95 (which would me 8, maybe 9 years old) opposed to 2X that for new. I do not know your money situation or how you intend to pay for it, but I would shop around. The plus is approximately 2,000 miles a year, which is good but you can't tell me a bike with that kind of work was babied! Go for newer, you may find a better deal. If you aren't gonna buy brand new, take your sweet time shopping around.

Y

·
0 Posts
MGN54 - it is a sickness. i got it 3 weeks ago. i bought a 96 900 2 weeks ago. my bike's motor was different from yours. my motor is stock. instead my bike has the modifications in the suspension and c/f (ducati chrome). i have been riding a japanese 600 for the past 12 years (same bike) and i am amazed at the lightness of the monster. and the fun of the monster. and the smiles inside the helmet. goofy a$$ smiles.

i was initially conserned about the age of the bike that i was buying. i can tell you that my personal experience is that the ducati owners that i know really take care of their rides and if you come across one with the mods that you describe then you probably have one he11 of a cool bike. The price sounds very generous for the engine.

my recomendation: if it looks clean, grab the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts