Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the ST2 registered yesterday installed the correct license plate today, and decide to ride it the two miles to work. That was about my limit, since I can barely work the clutch right now. It's also pretty difficult squeezing my hand down enough to get into a proper glove. Tomorrow I'll have to ask my physical therapist if working the clutch qualifies as a good way to strengthen my hand muscles.

One of the problems I'm having is that neutral is harder to find than it was on the Monster, so I can't just coast up to a stop and pop it into neutral. I have to pull the clutch way in to get it to go into neutral. Another week or two and I should have it sorted out (i.e., be strong enough).

I need to fix a few things on the ST2, but I also need to dismantle a few more things on the Monster too. Looks like a long weekend of working on Motorcycles. Right now I'm wedging the ST2 into my garage next to piles of Monster parts. That should clear up as everybody claims the parts they've requested. A couple of things have already "shipped".

It's clear that I'll probably have to spend months adjusting to a new bike, even though it's another Ducati of similar size. It turns differently, the throttle response is different, and I'm sure it will be faster out on the open road.

I expect to be ready for a Monster Ride about February.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Good for you Scott!! Glad to hear you're on the road again. When I had carpal tunnel surgery, I used my clutch as physical therapy!!! I thought it worked great as a therapist, works your mind too!!! Take it easy, get used to the new bike, have fun working on the bikes, and of course, Be Safe!!

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Great to hear, Scott.

As you rack up some more miles on the ST2, I would be interested in your comparison between it and the Monster, either as a thread or via PM.

Although I can't see parting with my Monster ever, as a few more years pass I see the possibility of diversifying my riding to include more travel maybe. I like the way the ST line keeps the "sport" in the touring and would seriously consider adding one as a second bike (or maybe a replacement for the Monster if I absolutely had to).

Glad you're back in the saddle.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Glad you're motorvating again. FYI, I had a problem with tendonitis in the left wrist. I found an Evoluzione (sp?) clutch slave cylinder to give MUCH relief. Might be worth looking into, especially if you do the "sport touring" thing on the bike.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Great to hear you're back on the road.....

now take your sorry @ss over to "No Monster Content" ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I talked to my physical therapist this morning and she said that squeezing a motorcycle clutch is probably as good as anything else for building up strength in my left hand. So I'll probably ride the bike every afternoon that doesn't look like rain. Basically, I drive a car to work in the morning (two whole miles) then go home for lunch. If the weather is good, I bring the motorcycle back in and get a 5-minute workout at about 1:00 and another at around 5:00.

I'm wishing there weren't so many stop signs (3) and stop lights (5), but I'll look on them as additional strength training. 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts