Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...my 1995 M900 almost left me stranded at the Rock Store yesterday. I turn the key and nothing...no lights... no start. I futz around w/ key, wiggle wires, curse at it and laugh because I was riding w/out my usual assortment of tools that I NEVER need.

Before I used the borrowed tools to go into the ignition mount I try one last time and MAGICALLY she starts. I ride home and cannot duplicate the problem. It's happened before in the last month but FIXED itself on second try.

So, you guys think it's the ignition switch? All wires are good and battery is fully charged. But, the key switch is getting a little sloppy. If it is the switch, is it an easy fix for a guy with clumsy skills?

And, if I replace the switch do I have to re-key...ie the seat/ cowling lock too?

Thanks for info and advise.

Ohh... when the bike finally came to life a lady riding a big gaudy yellow Harley came over scowling and asked if my bike was supposed to sound like that. When I proudly said "Yes. It has a dry clutch," she smirked and said she didn't like it one bit. I bit my tongue and smiled as she slouched off to her giant YELLOW couch with straight pipes wearing a matching yellow brain bucket and fringed vest. (Okay fine... so her bike started when she turned the key...doh!)

George
95 M900
92 750ss
04 YZ250f

·
Registered
783 Posts
I don't wanna scare you but when I had to buy a new ignition I had to get all of the locks. Ignition, seat and tank. I would go with salvage or ebay. I got the whole set for 100.00. But MAKE SURE that's your problem first. It could be the kill switch I'd look into that those things fall apart real easy. Also you've got your sidestand switch, fuses, etc..

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I was afraid the keylocks might change.

Fuses all look good. Sidestand switch was disabled long ago. Kill switch needs to be checked.

But what has me thinking it's the ignition / key switch is that I got no lights when I turned the key on. Wouldn't the instrument lights come on but the starter not engage if it were kill switch or sidestand?

George

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. So fuses, wires, connectors all seem okay. Still having intermittent problems w/ Power. Even had the bike die twice while riding last Saturday. So, I stopped in to BH Ducati and had them take a look. They concluded that it was likely the switch. So, BH Ducati ordered me a new ignition switch, tank lock, and seat cover lock kit...and a handlebar mounted choke lever (damn pull choke thingie must go!!!)

Hopefully, parts will arrive soon and I can get everything changed out by Laguna Seca time.

George

S

·
0 Posts
<But what has me thinking it's the ignition / key switch is that I got no lights when I turned the key on. Wouldn't the instrument lights come on but the starter not engage if it were kill switch or sidestand?>

Have you checked your master relay ?
This is energised when the key is moved to ON, and connects power from the battery (via fuse 1) to the other fuses and then on out to lights, etc...
If the relay ground contact is in a pretty poor state this relay may be intermittently operating, causing the problem as described.
...Simon ;)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Sounds like it might be the main relay under the seat. You can open up the OE units with a pocket knife and usually see alot of corrosion on the contacts. I always carry a spare (about $6 worth of insurance) because my bike has an appetite for them (no idea why). Good luck.

Oh yeah, in a pinch, you can run a jumper wire between the main terminals, just remember to take it out or the bike will not turn off.

Tell the dealer to replace the relay, don't waste your money and time rekeying the whole bike. (just say the post about ordering parts)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion. Okay, so under the seat I seem to remember fuse box and two relay switches???(tech term= square box thingies???) Is the Master Relay one of the square boxes? I'll check it out tonight.

S

·
0 Posts
Yep, one's the master relay, and the other's the indicator relay. The indicator relay has three connectors to it, and is the smaller one of the two. The master relay has its connections coming out of the underside of the relay and is held in place with a hoop fitting with a small rubber cone shape sticking out :-/...If you look you'll know what I mean !!!! ;D
...Simon

S

·
0 Posts
What did you endup doing about the ignition problem? Did you replace the ignition key as well as all the other parts requiring a key?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts