Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a centerstand, I am considering taking off the sidestand to save the 2lb it weighs.

I have previously installed the kit that allows you to start the engine with the sidestand down.

IF I were to remove the sidestand to save the approximately 2lb it weighs, what would I need to do to the sidestand anti-drive-off wiring?

Jim G

·
Registered
796 Posts
Re: IF remove sidestand, what do I do to the wirin

Zip ties :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

No, I mean does the switch in the harness (1) depend on seeing the sidestand in the "up" position to ENable the ignition when the transmission is not in neutral, or does it instead (2)look for the sidestand being DOWN to DISable the ignition?

If (2), no problem removing the sidestand. If (1), the engine will be disabled by removal of the sidestand.

Jim G

G

·

No, I mean does the switch in the harness (1) depend on seeing the sidestand in the "up" position to ENable the ignition when the transmission is not in neutral, or does it instead (2)look for the sidestand being DOWN to DISable the ignition?

If (2), no problem removing the sidestand. If (1), the engine will be disabled by removal of the sidestand.

Jim G
the connector has two wires going to it. short the connection and the ECU will think the stand's always up.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Strati: As usual, you're the man.

Let's take it one step further.

That wire harness that goes to the sidestand appears to terminate at a connector further up and forward on the frame of the bike. Can the entire harness from the sidestand location to that connection on the frame be removed, or are there other functions besides sidestand logic in it?

It would be nice to be able to remove that section, as it would clean up that side of the bike a lot!

Jim G

G

·

That wire harness that goes to the sidestand appears to terminate at a connector further up and forward on the frame of the bike. Can the entire harness from the sidestand location to that connection on the frame be removed, or are there other functions besides sidestand logic in it?

It would be nice to be able to remove that section, as it would clean up that side of the bike a lot!

Jim G
Mega bump!
I also installed a centerstand on my 03' M620ie. Would love to remove the side stand and the wiring harness, if our expert panel is able to provide guidence.
Thanks for bringing up this topic Jim G.

G

·

Strati: As usual, you're the man.

Let's take it one step further.

Jim G
yep. take the sidestand and it's mounting hardware off. follow the sidestand cable upto that connector up near the airbox and terminate it there. i just bridged the connections with safety wire and wrapped it up with electrical tape. i stumbled across this actually when i brought the bike to the track because i was dragging the stand in left hand hairpins and wanted to be rid of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts