Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a goofy question, but if you were going to use only one bar-end mirror, which side would you put it on and why? I'm thinking on the right because I'm in the fast lane more than any other...OTOH, if a cage is coming up fast, they tend to be on the left. Mostly, ya never know, so to be ready for anything I would put it on the right. On the OTHER other hand, I automatically look left 'cuz that's where the mirror is when I'm driving a car. Opinions?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd probably go with the left. Just cause it's habit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
From my understanding of the law, I believe if you only have one mirror it must go on the left. Makes more sense anyway, people pass on the left so you wanna make sure nobody is there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I thought the same thing when I placed my 3rd Eye's on the right bar, especially because it's much easier for me to turn my head/body to look back on my left... But after having that setup for a while, I found that it was more difficult for me to just look in the mirror to check behind me since I usually used the left mirror for that purpose... I currently have Rizoma Dynamics on both sides now (which is like not using any at all) but if I were to go back to barends, I would go with the left if not both.

·
Registered
541 Posts
eschmunk said:
From my understanding of the law, I believe if you only have one mirror it must go on the left. Makes more sense anyway, people pass on the left so you wanna make sure nobody is there.
+1

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Looks like it's unanimous. Another vote for the left.

·
Registered
576 Posts
One more vote for left. It is a little funky with one mirror at first but you get used to it fast. The only problems I have is getting into traffic from a stop in the suicide lane, or stop and go traffic. Anyways go left. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Left for sure. You are usually going faster than people on the right so you see them. On the left people are suposed to be going faster than you so it makes sense to see them coming.

·
Registered
47 Posts
eschmunk said:
+1

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have an enduro mirror on my KTM and tried both left and right. Not that I can see anything out of it but I am more comfortable with the left.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I broke my right mirror off and i run lefty only. I can tell u, if i want to pass someone, 75% of the time, I pass them at a faster speed so i just turn in without lookiing...unless i just passed a ricer who might think hes fast in his fregging rice rocket civic and tries to kill me. other times i use my head. Quick turn and power it. Unless your iin a slow speed lane cut, if you need mirrors for that... well I guess you just suck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got 2 of the crg hindsight ls, Most pics I've seen have had them on the left no matter what, (I'd believe the motor vehicle laws for autos is mirror on left no matter what, I would recommend two, why remove something that enhances your safety???

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
DucluvR said:
I would recommend two, why remove something that enhances your safety???
How does having 2 mirrors increase your safety?

As I mentiioned in another thread, my single CRG mirror is there only to be legal and it's rarely ever used. I only use it to check behind me when stopped at a light. Otherwise, I head check when out on the road which IMO is worlds safer than just relying on mirrors.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I don't know why I'm responding on this thread - its well covered so far.

But another vote for left if you only mount one mirror.

Personally, I have two on all my street legal bikes because you can never have too much visibilty of traffic situations around you. Plus I never change lanes or turn without a head check (that's a signal in itself on top of the blinker signal). Anyone thats ever ridden with me can probably attest to the fact that my head is on a constant swivel at all times.

Another trick I use, because I'm used to turning around in the saddle to watch students on the track, is to do the same when merging from an on-ramp. I hang off to the right and turn/plop my torso around to the left and take plenty enough time to size up the space I'm going to squirt into and look directly into the driver that will be behind me. It seems to help eliminate surprises to either party.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts