Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...then it probably is.

As the title says and the truth of it is almost immutable. Having found the ad posted here (and no fault to the poster mind you...), so I investigated. Bike looks lovely, price seems excellent and description is even better. So I emailed the seller. Today I got my reply and here it is:

Hi Dave,
There are 11540 miles on it, the bike is in great condition, never dropped. It has clear title and the price I will sell it for is $2,800.00, which includes all the shipping taxes and the insurance.
I live in Sacramento but currently I am with work in United Kingdom ( London ) for the next approximately 5 months. Anyway, it shouldn't be any problem, because I am using BuySafe services so I can sell the bike without difficulty.
I left the bike in their custody in US before leaving overseas. They will take care of the shipping. There's a 14 days return policy included so you could test, inspect and ride it before final decision.
So if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how BuySafe works and how we can move forward.
I am waiting your email.
Best Regards

For the love of god, please help us when the scammers learn syntax and proper spelling. And if I recall reading somewhere, I don't think BuySafe holds anything but a surety bond on the seller. I realize this topic has been probably discussed here many times before, but as long as the scammers are out in force us regular folks need to be vigilant and remind others from time to time.

Oh well as the topic states...

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
if the bike is in sac...... pm Grio, and see if she'll take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i saw a bunch of bikes (different varieties-virtually brand new r6s and the like) that were too good to be true...funny thing they were all $2800...there must be a reason these scammers are keeping the prices under $3000...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I would like to have someone take a look, but I doubt there's anything to actually see. Me thinks the pics are 'borrowed' from some post somewhere else as is the description. Even though I'm moving in 3 weeks and all that, I was almost ready to commit a Friday night/Saturday to going up and getting it.

I saw all those ads too, there plastered all over fleabay, so like I'm gonna do a Buy It Now on a 2005 Aprila sportbike for $2800. Yeah right. Thing I hate about *Bay is how difficult it is anymore to report shady auctions. It use to be pretty straight forward, but not anymore. I tried reporting the Aprila auction but got nowhere fast trying to do so.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
there was a Canadian reporter who tracked down the source of many of the Nigerian scams -- they were a bunch of Nigerians in an office in Amsterdam (!). he got a bunch of them on camera through the glass (they were sitting at little cubes with a PC and a phone). one of them came out and threatened him.

very crazy stuff. you figure a lot of money is involved, they have very serious interests to protect (and apparently not illegal everywhere).

i would not buy anything off craigslist unless it was local and i could lay hands on it (and the seller)

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
adamsduc said:
there was a Canadian reporter who tracked down the source of many of the Nigerian scams -- they were a bunch of Nigerians in an office in Amsterdam (!). he got a bunch of them on camera through the glass (they were sitting at little cubes with a PC and a phone). one of them came out and threatened him.

very crazy stuff. you figure a lot of money is involved, they have very serious interests to protect (and apparently not illegal everywhere).

i would not buy anything off craigslist unless it was local and i could lay hands on it (and the seller)
Yeah..I just posted something about those guys in the Dog scam thread. I'm still trying to find that video of the African singing about stealing Americans money and how easy it is!! ::)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If it's on Craigslist, make sure you're a good citizen and flag it for the moderators. These guys run the same scam on Mastercraft boats on CL constantly and I make a point to check and flag them all the time. They steal pics and text from places like Boat Trader and throw a ridiculous price on it. Sad thing is, some poor slobs must be falling for it or they wouldn't keep posting these ads.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup flagged it.

As far as the 'local' only deal, understood, but if I had someone trustworthy have a look see, then a drive up I5 might be worth my while. And I'd never send anyone that distance any cash before hand. Live and learn (constant battle...).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts