Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99' 900 monster that starts fine, no problems with taking the choke off immediately after it starts, and idles around 1200. However, once the bike gets really warm it wants to idle at 2500-3000 rpms. I'm kind of worried about my clutch since it clunks really hard when I go from neutral to first gear. I don't think it's a clutch problem b/c it doesn't clunk when it's idleing normaly. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think he meant adjust the idle WHEN WARM to 1200rpm. It sounds like your idle is up way to high and that will make putting it in gear painfull and starting from a stop feel weird. Just locate the little idle adjustment knob and turn it counter-clockwise

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
More accurately it should be warm enough to have a stable idle. But the "really warm" referred to in the problem description is likely at or beyond working temperature. Dents is describing his idle right after he starts, turns the choke off and gets going. At that point it should not be 1200, but 1000-1100. Making the adjustment at that point is sufficient.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your input guys.

However, the bike idles around 1200 when it's cold and when it's warm...it's when i've been riding around in traffic and the bike gets really warm is when the bike wants to idle around 2500-3000. Maybe in those situations I should just keep the clutch engaged?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
From my own experience, it was idling at working temperature somewhere between 1200-1300, and when it would get hot after city traffic or riding in hot weather, shoot to 2500. At the time I didn't see a connection between being slightly high when cold and rising to 2500 when hot.

I had the idle adjusted to 1000 and it kept it at 1000 regardless of temperature.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris I bike only has less than 5000 miles, I'd like to think the jets would last longer than that.

Silvan I'll give that a try.

Thanks for both responses

G

·
My 99 750 is doing similar. Idles at below 1000 while warming up then warm it is about 1100 to 1200 and then randomely it jumps to 2000 and then drops back down sometimes and then back up sometimes. Very random. Anybody have any idea?

G

·
My '00 750 does the same thing, but not all the time. It is noticeable when waiting at lights (sometimes). I've found that "bliping" the choke makes it go back to normal; sometimes it stays at normal, other times just goes back up. The jet ovaling problem is one possible cause, but the bike has had this problem since new.

Adjusting the idle screw works sort of, but the "normal" idle is then too low, as the problem is intermittent.

I have suspected uneven/incorect float bowl levels, but I don't really want to take the carb out again. I suspect it is this, though. On my list of things to do.

Mongo

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
lean idle can cause the slides not to return properly. try turning the mixtuer screws 1/4 turn. also, checking the throttle cables is a good idea.

G

·
I am with Howie look at your idle mixture screws ,ovality of the needle jets make them run rich in the mid range not at idle . I have noticed with my 98 900 that idle mixtures set on the lean side it will idle higher after a run , if I richen it up half a turn and reset the idle it will remain the same cold hot or panting . For those who experience sudden and high idle rpms (2000 t0 3000 :eek: ) you need to start from scratch and check the lot -air leaks around intakes vacume take off's - fuel pumps for air and fuel leaks - throttle and choke cable routing .

Cheers

Rabbit

G

·
That's the spirit get in there and have a look . that's the way I learn't ;D Just keep an eye out on the way in for any little thing which may contribute to the problem . Keep us posted on what you find .

Cheers

Rabbit

1 - 16 of 16 Posts