Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just got my 2001 M900Sie back from it's 6000 mile service. The valves must have needed adjusting because there were four shims on the service order.

Anyway, my question is that before I took it in, it was idling at about 1200. Now, when I'm at a light it's idling at about 2200...then once I open the throttle and take off, the idle drops way down.

Any idea what's going on?

M

·
0 Posts
Check the cable routing and connections. They may have been disturbed during the service. Did you get your old shims??? My former dealer would have figured a way to charge for 10 shims.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Your dealer/mechanic may have left you with an air leak if the idle is goofy.
If the idle is better when the engine is cold, and worse when it's hot, it's likely it's an air leak leaning out the mixture.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't get the old shims...oh well. Fortunately this was a "freebie" service, thanks to the special offer when I bought the bike, so it's okay with me.

Speeddog, good call on the air leak. I called the dealer and they said that it was missing some sort of a nut on one of the vacuum hoses, they said they replaced it and the problem went away. Funny...the problem wasn't there when I took it in, and they didn't tell me about it when I picked my bike up!

Anyway, they want me to bring it back in so they can investigate further. Kind of a pain, considering they are 100 miles away.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I would follow up, took my Monster back to Marin Ducati yesterday...they could hear the bad idling as I pulled in to the service yard! Got her up on the lift and replaced all the bushings in the vacuum hoses. Then they tweaked with the idle adjustment a little bit, took her for a test ride, tweaked the idle adjustment a little bit more, checked the CO2 level on the exhaust, and an hour later I was on my way home with a perfectly idling Monster!

Traffic was bad coming home, but ya know...lane splitting is a great way to pass the miles!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up.

It's good to hear the solution to the problem.

Also, it's good to hear that the dealer is treating you right, and you're back on the road happy. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts