Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my ducati it was running great.. i put gas in that night and two days later it starts puttering when running and making backfire noises... so i put some regular in with it at about a half a tank... i think it ran down out of the premium and ran better with the regular... called dealership they said to put in only premium... so i did this...
what is the ANSWER?
also my pipes down near the engine are all purple and green colored.. does this mean im running to rich? also the bike isnt idling by itself without the idle accelerator!
it doesnt make the noises when im riding.. only when im above 4.5k rpms will it make the p\loud exhaust backfire noise.
so i guess ill fill it up with regular? ill use shell to , to be safe 89 octane

·
Registered
796 Posts
O.K. first off I dont think you need to put gas higher than about 89 octane in your bike. It should actually run better with the lower octane as it is not a high compression motor. Second, you said "car" ???
If your bike wont run without the choke on then it is probably too lean or your idle is set too low. It all sounds strange and I would take it back to where you bought it and have them make it right.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The dealer is wrong telling you to use premium. The lowest octane works the best for 2-valve Monsters with stock engines.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Geez ... if you just bought this bike then take it right back to the dealer. Throwing more or less octane at the problem isn't going to fix it. Under 900 rpm your running on the idle circuits and the bike doesn't idle. Under power your off the idle circuits and the bike is popping so it still isn't working. An engine need 4 things to run well ... spark, gas, compression and timing. If you can't check these things yourself then your wasting time ... take it back man ... take it back. You could be riding!

·
Registered
339 Posts
my 620 runs best on regular octane. Never had a problem. Its a low compression bike, so no reason to use high octane and lots of reasons not to.

The idle will be rough when the bike is cold. Mine won't hold an idle well without the "choke" (idle accelerator on our FI bikes) on. If (and only if) the bike won't idle w/o the "choke" on _after_ the bike is warm and the oil temp shows 180 or so, I'd bring it in. Until its warmed up, just leave the "choke" on a bit to set the min idle at 1K. You can ride it just fine like that, the "choke" will just prevent the bike from dying when you go close the throttle. It has no effect when the throttle is opened. When the bike is warm, switch it off.

As for the pipes, that's normal.

mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
if i bring it in where i bouyght it, i have 2 months left of the warranty and only 1300 miles, they should look at it and fix it for free correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts