Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the outside temp is at 70 or below bike starts and idles fine, with choke applied when starting with no oil temp registered and without choke when oil temp is registered.

If outside temp is above 70, even if the bike had been running and shows a oil temp reading. the bike won't start and idle without choke applied. Even if you give a couple throttle whacks after start. Bike will idle down to about 500 rpm and die. After you run bike with choke for about one minute it seems to idle around 700 rpm then slowly start increasing to around 1100rpm.

Any clues on this???

·
Registered
374 Posts
The bike should run at around 1100 rpm all the time no matter if it is cold or hot at idle. You just need to have the idle speed adjusted and maybe a touch up in the mapping. My bike use to do the same thing until I did some mods and had it remapped. Now I only need the FAST IDLE not choke to start the bike when its cold and only need it for like 10 seconds and then turn it off.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
FYI, there is no choke on fuel injection Monsters such as the 02's, the lever is a fast idle lever only.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I was going to ask about that (the choke). My 01 M900ie only has a fast start lever (which I've never used). Pretty much the coldest I've started though is around 42 degrees. I don't have an oil temp guage though, just the sensor in the horizontal cyl valve cover.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My 02 620 was similar afetr adding pipes and K&N air filter.
It was too rich !!! and Oceanside Ducati tweaked the trim on the Exhaust Gas Analyzer, about a 30 min job. Mechanic said some are too lean others too rich. It started hard when hot, meow its purrfect.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My M620 acted exactly like that until I put K/N filter and new pipes on. Then it started like a dream; I never had to use the fast start lever again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts