Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
First off have you put the touring seat on? It is a night and day difference. Second I'm not paying a $1k on rearsets either. The Gecko Racing rearsets are $300 and look great!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Here's my deal: I'm old! After breaking many bones racing motocross my body don't love me so much anymore. :frown I rode the FZ10 a few weeks ago and found it very comfortable. So comfortable in fact that when I went to ride away on my bike I kept missing the pegs because they are so much higher than the Yamaha's. That's when I decided to buy the extended pegs. I have actually moved them to the next position back and up, which now has everything pretty much where I want it. I may compromise at some point and do the 25mm extensions or I may say F-it and put the stock ones back on. I do know it's doubtful I will spring for a grand-plus worth of rear-sets. I think that will be the time I give up and move to another bike.

To me buying this bike was just like marrying a hot woman; I fell in love with the looks and dealt with the fact she isn't perfect. Eventually those imperfections started to wear on me to the point where we are now trying (accessory) therapy. If that doesn't work out I have to either accept her for the way she is or move on.:smile
No matter how hot, there is someone out there tired of their bull****. :devil

Another option, just forego the rear brake altogether...that's how mine was for most of my 24k miles. I didn't die. :grin

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
First off have you put the touring seat on? It is a night and day difference. Second I'm not paying a $1k on rearsets either. The Gecko Racing rearsets are $300 and look great!
I forgot to mention I'm too short! I already have the stock seat reshaped and in the highest position to get the leg angle close to what I can stand. Plus I have a crap-load of stuff like the alarm, etc under the seat. I would love to put the touring seat on but I'd also like to be able to touch the ground!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I forgot to mention I'm too short! I already have the stock seat reshaped and in the highest position to get the leg angle close to what I can stand. Plus I have a crap-load of stuff like the alarm, etc under the seat. I would love to put the touring seat on but I'd also like to be able to touch the ground!
Two ideas:

:angel

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Two ideas:

I love the boots! :x

Isn't that Verne Troyer on the Can Am? I shall call him um...me. :crying

OK, 5'9" isn't that short, but my 30" inseam has a tough time touching the ground comfortably, even with my big-boy boots on. :smile

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 14S had a very weak rear brake when I bought it a short while ago, didn't like it but dealt with it. Then it quit working completely. I rode through the day, then I had a corner where I instinctively tried to use the rear brake (over shot it a wee bit) and when I didn't have that little bit of stopping power it nearly was a crash. Too close for comfort. My fault, but if the rear had been working it would have been recoverable. I decided at that moment to take it to the shop for repair.

When I took it in the standing joke was Ducati rear brakes are more cosmetic than functional. Funny yes, but not acceptable. Picked it up today. MUCH better, it actually works. Yay!

·
Registered
782 Posts
My 14S had a very weak rear brake when I bought it a short while ago, didn't like it but dealt with it. Then it quit working completely. I rode through the day, then I had a corner where I instinctively tried to use the rear brake (over shot it a wee bit) and when I didn't have that little bit of stopping power it nearly was a crash. Too close for comfort. My fault, but if the rear had been working it would have been recoverable. I decided at that moment to take it to the shop for repair.

When I took it in the standing joke was Ducati rear brakes are more cosmetic than functional. Funny yes, but not acceptable. Picked it up today. MUCH better, it actually works. Yay!
For now......

·
Registered
676 Posts
OK, 5'9" isn't that short, but my 30" inseam has a tough time touching the ground comfortably, even with my big-boy boots on
Really? I used to be 5'9" and my 30" inseam is not an issue on the "R" where I can flat foot both legs if I stretch a bit. Otherwise, I'm missing about a half inch in heel space which is definitely not an issue.
After riding a Hypermotard, the Monster feels "Harley" low.:grin

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a 30" inseam and fit my stock seat S4RS ok. Well, another 1/2" of inseam would be great, but not bad. Is your low seat bothering your hips ? That's what happens on my SS with a low Corbin. Much better with stock seat. Have you set your sag correctly ? This usually lowers seat height a little. Slide the forks up in the triples 20 mm or so. Many street riding boots have a fairly thick sole, have you looked around ? Lower profile tires will help a little. You're not going to gain it all with one mod. I've done all of these things to my SS to lower the seat height. Each mod picks up 1/2" or so, all together they make the bike fit you better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have a 30" inseam and fit my stock seat S4RS ok. Well, another 1/2" of inseam would be great, but not bad. Is your low seat bothering your hips ? That's what happens on my SS with a low Corbin. Much better with stock seat. Have you set your sag correctly ? This usually lowers seat height a little. Slide the forks up in the triples 20 mm or so. Many street riding boots have a fairly thick sole, have you looked around ? Lower profile tires will help a little. You're not going to gain it all with one mod. I've done all of these things to my SS to lower the seat height. Each mod picks up 1/2" or so, all together they make the bike fit you better.
I don't know about lower profile tires, but yes, I will revisit checking the sag and the other stuff. My AStar boots are decent but not nearly as "Frankensteinian" as my Harley boots! I can touch decently with both feet, I just feel like I'm not in as much control as I'd like to be at stops and in parking lots. I am scared shitless of moving the bike around, even backwards without being on it. I watch the Harley mechanics push the bikes around like its nothing and I can't for the life of me get the courage to do that! Hell, I cringe every time I see Valentino Rossi get on and off on the right side of the bike!:eek:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is me giving up on using the peg extensions. I just can't get the back brake to work well enough having it so low. :frown

I do like the grippy foot pegs so they are still on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
This is me giving up on using the peg extensions. I just can't get the back brake to work well enough having it so low. :frown

I do like the grippy foot pegs so they are still on the bike.
WINNERS NEVER QUIT, QUITTERS NEVER WIN! :grin

Little work with some aluminum stock, sheet metal, and a sawsall and you'd had it all fixed up. :devil

21 - 34 of 34 Posts