Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

even though i'm already in my mid thirties, i'm just now getting my first motorcycle - which has one advantage: at least i have some money to spend on a nice monster :cool:

unfortunately, i have no idea where to start... all i know is that i really like the mean look of the monster (especially in a matte all black finish...) and enjoy the sound of a real engine (not like those little japanese racing bikes... :eek: ) ...oh and i'm 6'0" - so i'm looking for a bike that is not too small.

any suggestions, tips, or comments are very much appreciated.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
That's a hard question. It's pretty much personal preference. They generally say start on the smaller bikes like a 696, but lets me honest the speed limit is the same no matter what bike your on so as long as you're responsible it doesn't matter.

That being said, I love my 696 and it's a great starter bike or a nice twisty bike for an experienced rider like myself. I bought it because I wanted a play bike, and something my wife could use as an upgrade bike to her 250r.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey boris,

thanks a lot for the quick feedback. I read that the 696 has a quite low seat - so is 6'0" not too tall for it? (I know that's not huge, but tall enough to look funny on a too small bike :)

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Yeah it's pretty low and from what I understand the 796 is even lower. They do make a touring seat that'll get you up a bit, but you're still going to be pretty flat footed. I'm 5'9 and flat footed on the stock seat, although that's not a bad thing. The riding position is pretty good, and backing up is so much easier flat footed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stick with the smaller displacement Monsters for your first. If you buy one thats got a few years on it you should be able to ride it for a year or so and ditch it without much loss provided you keep it on the tires and kickstand. Then you can trade up to a bigger, more powerful bike. Get some frame sliders and don't spend alot of money on accessories until you feel more confident you're not gonna drop it. Monsters are not big bikes, at 6' you'll fit on the bike but you're gonna make it look small...trust me I'm 6'1". I can send you a pic of me riding my S4R to give you some perspective if you PM me your email. The brakes and handling of the monster will make it a good, safe first ride I think...the power/gearing in the bigger displacements could be dangerous for a beginner. I've never ridden an 800 so I'm not quite sure there.

btw...great taste in rides for a noob ;)

-BunnMan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess if you are asking this question in a Ducati forum you are aiming for such brand right?
If so head to the dealer and try all the monsters you can. If you are also looking at other brands the Yamaha FZ6 is a great naked and very smooth in the throttle. The Triumph street triple it is also an awesome bike… so there’s plenty to choose from but it is up to your taste and riding preference.
My suggestion is try as many as you can, short list a few and then (just then) check the bike reviews and see whether they align with your views, that would help you make the final judgment.
This is from someone that was looking for a Triumph and ended up with a Ducati :).

Good luck!
Lucas

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would imagine at 6' the Truimph would fall off the list fast, as well as the Buells if they were a consideration. The Triple is definitely designed around a shorter framed rider and didn't fit me at all (6'1" as stated above) and when I get on Buells I feel like I'm looking down at the front of the headlight. The guy said he likes Monsters anyway...smart fella on two counts, Monsters seem to accomodate tall guys that wanna ride like short guys, and they're just plain bad ass! I never did sit on a Tuono so that might be worth a look especially with the deep pockets you mentioned :)

In the end it's all what feels good under you, thats a key point in a few of life's pursuits come to think of it, lol

Godspeed,

-BunnMan

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm old too - 41, 5'11".. just got my first bike (since I was a kid).. '04 Monster 620. Couldn't be happier. Easy to ride, easy to control, flat footed at stops is a good thing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess if you are asking this question in a Ducati forum you are aiming for such brand right?
So far I really liked the Ducati the best from all I've seen. However, if it makes me look like I'm sitting on a toy bike, I might have to re-consider :)

I'm old too - 41, 5'11".. just got my first bike (since I was a kid).. '04 Monster 620. Couldn't be happier. Easy to ride, easy to control, flat footed at stops is a good thing.
Glad to hear that! is the 620 about the same size as the 696?

In the end it's all what feels good under you, thats a key point in a few of life's pursuits come to think of it, lol
LOL - true that! ...oh and my pockets are not thaaat deep, just deeper than in my 20s ;)

What is a Tuono?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Tuono is Aprillia's naked...google it, impressive machine. I don't think you should be so concerned about seat height as you sould be about distance to the pegs and bars. By bars I mean handlebars of course, distance to the watering hole type bars becomes less of a concern if you're comfortable on your bike...lol. You will be spending more time with your feet on the pegs that on the pavement. Seat height is a factor short people need to consider to be certain they will be able to balance the bike at a stop and won't be doing a Yosemite Sam foot swing everytime the bike stops moving. It's really not much of a factor for rider comfort.

-BunnMan

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Yeah, they're lots of bike out there if you're going to be looking around. SV650 has always been a favorite of mine. I've never owned one but my cousing and brother in-law have both had them, so I've ridden them and they're torque animals (almost used the word monsters but that wouldn't be proper on this forum).

Bunnmann is spot on. If you're looking for something because of your height, seat to pegs is what you want to look at. Long rides will lock up your knees so you want a good comfy position for you legs. You also want to make sure the seat to bars distance is good for you, although that can generally get fixed with different bars or risers.

Good luck in your search, whatever you end up with just make sure you post pics here :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck in your search, whatever you end up with just make sure you post pics here :)
Thanks for your help guys! I'll definitely post a picture as soon as I decide for one. Except of course if it ends up not being a monster - in which case I'd hide in shame :)

·
Banned
1 Posts
you will love lost dvd 1-5

Lost is incredible. It is by far the most intellectual show on television, and like the Simpsons, Lost DVD 1-5it appeals to low-brow and high-brow tastes. Some viewers may watch it purely for the adventure and supernatural element Lost DVD 1-5 (it's Jurassic Park and the Shining and Robinson Crusoe---together at last). Lost DVD 1-5Others may watch it for the richly nuanced characters Lost DVD 1-5 (what other show has a regular character who speaks only Korean?). And others still may watch itfor the philosophical undercurrent.
What's great about the philosophy is that the writers present it without pretentiousness. Most of it is subtle. The most philosophical character is, of course, John Locke, who happens to share his name with the great seventeenth-century English philosopher (who had some interesting things to say about the behavior of humans in the State of Nature). Also on the showis a mysterious and ambiguous French female character named Rousseau, who also happens to share her name with the great eighteenth-century French philosopher (who also had some interesting things to say about the behavior of humans in the State of Nature).

Lost is very existential. The main themes of the show, expressed a few times by Locke, are the inevitability of fate and the opportunity to change oneself for the better. These Lost47 (and dwindling) survivors are given the rare chance to focus on their lives, question their past mistakes, and become better people. And these characters have a lot to think about. One character is a drug addict; one was a torurer for Saddam Hussein; one was a hitman; one had an (arguably) incestuous relationship with her step-brother; two are murderers. LostOnly Jack, the doctor, seems to have a sense of morality and decency, Lost but this could easily change with a surprising flashback (for being the main protagonist, we know little about Jack's past).
Dexter DVD 1-4
Grey's Anatomy DVD 1-5
Lost DVD 1-5
family guy DVD 1-7
Criminal Minds DVD 1-4
Weeds DVD 1-5
Desperate Housewives DVD 1-5

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I have an older 03 monster 800 i.e. Bought this brand new and was was my first bike. I'm 6'3". Prob just fit the bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First bike (Monster)

I'm 38, and started riding about three years ago. My first bike was a Monster620 Dark, which my friend and I refer to now as the "60". I'm 6'1, 200lbs, and it was a little small for me.

If I was in your shoes, I'd look for an S2R 800, say an '06 or '05. I bet you can get one at a good price, low miles, and probably having already had the 7500 tuneup.

I bought a S2R1000 in '08 and absolutely looove it. You can't go wrong with a Duck.

My advise, have a quick clutch, and if it ever starts to go down, don't try to keep it up by grabbing the throttle. Did that the first week I had the 620. $700 later, it was ready to trade.

Good luck, and when you ride, consider yourself invisible.

-Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts