Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate a consensus of opinion on what is the ideal size cut out to make in the top of the airbox to get the maximum benefit from a K&N filter and freer flowing exhaust.

Anyone gone too far and messed up the power curve?

Mark (1000ds - Multistrada).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you plan on tweaking the ecu or putting in a PCIII after cutting the box?

People have done everything from just enlarging the current hole, to turning the lid into swis cheese with a bunch of circle holes, to removing the same thing. All have had great results for what was done/desired. But, retuning was generally required. Whether it's managing to tweak the stock ecu or having a PCIII and custom map installed.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Mine doesn't have a top any more, but I run carbs, so I'm better than you...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

The bike is currently stock except for lightweight flywheel and Iridium plugs.

I have a set of Termignoni large diameter downpipes, K&N filter and powercommander on order (keeping original silencer).

I understand the need to adjust the fuelling - anyone got a PC111 map that I could use as a starting point?

Mark.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Might I suggest as a first step that you remove the lid completely, zip tie the filter down and take her for a spin. She may well run fine. If that's the case you'll know that you can't go too far with the cutting.

·
Registered
124 Posts
mandrbarrett said:
Thanks for the input.

The bike is currently stock except for lightweight flywheel and Iridium plugs.

I have a set of Termignoni large diameter downpipes, K&N filter and powercommander on order (keeping original silencer).

I understand the need to adjust the fuelling - anyone got a PC111 map that I could use as a starting point?

Mark.
powercommander's web site has downloadable maps (I believe). Just find the one that's the closest to your current configuration.

And, +1 to:
Wanwo said:
Might I suggest as a first step that you remove the lid completely, zip tie the filter down and take her for a spin. She may well run fine. If that's the case you'll know that you can't go too far with the cutting.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Wanwo said:
The bike runs great with no cover at all. Only problem is that setup doesn't completely protect the filter from rain dripping down from the tank. The attached pics from my 2007 S4R retains just enough cover to protect from water, and follows a natural strengthening rib in the cover. Runs the same as with the cover completly off, as I rode it for a weeek that way before getting an extra to cut. Joe X

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
grazi said:
The bike runs great with no cover at all. Only problem is that setup doesn't completely protect the filter from rain dripping down from the tank. The attached pics from my 2007 S4R retains just enough cover to protect from water, and follows a natural strengthening rib in the cover. Runs the same as with the cover completly off, as I rode it for a weeek that way before getting an extra to cut. Joe X
and mine is even bigger than his
....cut a big rectangle in the airbox too.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
i did a full exhaust, power commander, and chopped the air box. had it dyno tuned and still had problems with it running too rich so i had the duc dealer hook it up to their computer and do some tweeking (i think to the ecu) and now it runs great and feels even faster. so it does take a bit of tuning to get it right when you do chop the lid. at least for me it did.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.