Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Sorry, logged 350 miles today chasing Ortega and Palomar.

Yep, sucks to live in SoCal during the winter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yep, I gave up parking lots a while back [laugh]

It was a glorious day in the neighborhood, I did 160 miles (solo as usual), and made friends

with lots of folks that had the same idea. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
(psst, while I wholeheartedly applaud those of you who enjoyed riding beyond the confines of a parking lot, what mags was really saying was:)

mags said:
I went riding today for the first time since my 3 day msf course 18 months ago! It was also my first time on the monster so we took it easy and just hung out in a parking lot. >:D

See? I kept telling you guys I'd get around to getting my husband off of his fat ass to teach me how to ride one of the these days. :p
;D >:D [laugh]

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
hahaha!

[thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Now.... if you only had a vehicle you could put a bike in...like lets say...a truck, you and yer man could come ride some Kern County roads ;)

Congrats mags. [thumbsup]

G

·
cool [thumbsup] Mags!!!

Stay in your comfort zone and most importantly have fun!

Just watch out for gravel, oil, and dirt in parking lots, that crap tends to build up in them.

Now you guys need to add another bike to the family so you can ride together and to IBNII ;D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I had fun. It came back very quickly. I had trouble getting used to the bike's weight, power, and brakes, but I seemed to do ok...you'll have to ask Corey. I mostly just messed around in first and second gear and practiced turns and learning the bike. I was having trouble with the levers though. My hands are small and I can't really reach the levers to a point where I feel like I have control. But as the afternoon progessed, I figured out different positions for my hands that seemed to work a little better.

I think Corey might have taken some camera phone pictures, but I'm not sure.

It was fun, and i got over my fear of the size of the duc...so I'm ready to go practice more! :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Are the levers on the S2R not at all adjustable? I thought they had the dial-type adjusters on them. If they do, you can change them really easily and it might help your hands a bit. :-\

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Nope. Yer gonna have to go aftermarket. What happened to the CRG levers I sold to squeak? They should be on the S2R by now. Congrats mags!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
the CRGs *are* on the s2r, and even ratcheted all the way down she was having issues. :(

i have a few cell phone pics, ill try and post them and more details when i get to work. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
277 Posts
good your getting out, my girlfriend did precisely the same thing after she finished her course and got licensed. We loaded up the bikes (she's gotta harley sportster- sorry, couldn't shake her of the whole chrome and leather mindset) in the back of the truck, rode to a park with a large parking lot, unloaded the bikes, and before reversing the process spent 4 hours doing circles. Well she did, at least- me? tired out and passed out under a shady tree for a spell 8)

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
correction: cell phone pics are on mags phone. :(

Overall, she did really well. She only had about 2 oh-**** moments, one where she was just getting used to turning again and some mid-turn uneasiness caused her to throw her foot out. The other was the final run of the night where, while reaching for the brake, something "popped" in her hand and while recoiling she accidentally gave it a bit of gas. She recovered well and got the bike under control and stopped just a few inches short of running over a planter. ;D

She was nervous at first, but quickly got back into the hang of it and was having a good time in the few hours we were there. One thing that was quite a bit weird were the number of people just randomly driving through the dmv parking lot on a sunday afternoon. Perhaps the worst was the lady who proceeded to practice parking in damn near every spot in the parking lot, getting out after every time to make sure her car was entirely within the parking lane. ::) She kept doing this within the aisle that we had been using since before she got there, and it took quite a bit of patience to not get frustrated with her. Mags would sit patiently waiting for her to get out of the way, and without fail each time that I'd get fed up enough to start walking over to her to ask her to stay on "her side" of the lot she'd move. By the end of the day maggie was feeling confident enough that she'd just ride past her once she was parked, and was literally riding circles around her while doing her practice manuevers. [laugh]

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
There might be a way to mod the CRG's to get 'em closer, but I'd need to look at a set up close.
Next time I get near a set I'll do that.

At some point the clutch won't get enough stroke to disengage, so there is a limit.

And the mod may make it so that the levers can't go far enough *out* for sqweak, who IIRC has large mitts...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had these in mind for a bike project for my wife:

http://www.isr-brakes.se/products/mastercylinders/21-006.shtml

Not cheap, but adjustable reach and leverage.
Good enough for GhostRider, good enough for me >:D

Good job getting on the bike after the long layoff. I had two 1/2 years between MSF and getting mine and it was scary as **** getting on the twin with crazy engine braking and 10 million HP. And look how good a rider I turned out to be... ::) [laugh]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts