Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in the canyons by my house and i was down shifting
and went over 5000 rpm's and I only have 400 miles on it.could that be bad befor i break it in???? ???

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: i went over 5000 rpms before break in is that

if it was made out of paper and held together with staples, yes. If it is a Ducati then dont be afraid to take it out of the cotton protective shell, remove the bubble wrap and drive it the way it is begging you to drive it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ooohhh,Thought bubble wrap was for when I fall!!! ;D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Don't sweat it man. Just look at it as the manufacture's opinion of breakin. And what do they know? ;D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I recall reading an article somewhere which said that riding your bike harder than recommended during the run in period actually made it run better over its lifetime. I'm not mechanically minded enough to know if this makes sense.

However its just another opinion and it might make you feel less worried about doing any long term damage.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just pray to the Ducati riding god above that he does not smite you and your bike down!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
852 Posts

You will be fine, unless you are consistently over the recommended limits from your manual. I broke the 5000 rpm a few times for the first 600 miles, and everything checked out just fine at 600 mile service. No worries.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

I recall reading an article somewhere which said that riding your bike harder than recommended during the run in period actually made it run better over its lifetime.
The idea is not necessarily to spin it at higher RPM than recommended, but to load the engine with acceleration and maybe a passenger. After reading all the discussion both ways, I'm a believer. YMMV.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
668 Posts

it is ok.
Do the break in as it says in the Ducati Book.
Then You ll be definitely inside warranty and have peace of mind.

Just ride everywhere, anytime, and youll be over break in period in no time.

Gongratulations.
Skier

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That's OK don't do it often.

·
Registered
915 Posts

The break-in recommendation says dont go over 5800....at least that is what is in my manual and posted here on the FAQ's....

gnew

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: I went over 5000 rpms before break in is that

If you did it in the first 50 miles you might have something to worry about. After 400, you shouldn't give it an extra thought. I missed a shift on my bike (first false neutral) on my bike when it had about 20 miles on it and clearly went past 5000 rpms (no tach), but it always ran just fine.

That "breakin procedure" at mototuneusa has also been posted on the DML by a co-author. There are other things that you're breaking in besides the piston rings, like transmission gears, camshafts, and things. I wouldn't use that method on any bike I plan to own for a few years.

It's important to take the bike through several warmup and cooldown cycles as well as riding it gently. I happen to believe that giving it a bit of throttle once in a while is a good thing, as long as you take it easy right after for a while.

Go enjoy your Monster.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

My manual say not to exceed 5500 to 6000 so you have not technically "overreved" it. Besides, the manufacturer likely has a wider margin than it will admit so don't sweat it.

Occassionally hitting 5500 to 6000 is probably less of a problem than hard acceleration and decceleration as the change in the load on the engine is more abrupt. At least that's my excuse. ;D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Your bike is fine.. Avoid sustained RPM's over 55-6K if possible. Avoid steady RPM running including just idling for long periods of time (5 minutes) during break in period, vary the RPM as often as safely possible. You can run the RPM's up thru the gears as high as 55-6K like normal. Downshifting to use your motor as a "brake" is not the best treatment during break in IMO. Learn to use the actual brakes the bike us equipped with, they're fantastic..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts