Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fully cored the pipes to my 00750D last year, and they are unreasonably loud. Yes, even when I wear earplugs. Bike sounds like a Messerschmidt when I'm in a tunnel, and I always pull the clutch when I'm going by cops. I also think my Shoei focuses the sound to my ears like a parabolic dish. The sound is cool, and mesmerizing to passers by (and those getting passed by) however I'm starting to worry about hearing loss. It's the ringing in my ears when I shut down.

So here's the idea: I'm thinking of wrapping fibergalss around around tube-shaped metal screens and stuffing them into my pipes, like a flow-through design. Does anybody know what the flashpoint of fiberglass is relative to my exhaust temp? I certainly don't want to end up like the flamthrower s4r dude.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Re: I think I'm going deaf/flashpoint of fiberglas

try your local shop, they probably stock specific fiberglass to repack your cans, i don't think its expensive...ken

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I do need to make a run to the shop tomorrow, however I've seen fiberglass cloth in the autoparts store for a few bucks (cheap is the name of my game). Does all fibergalss have about the same flashpoint, or would this body-repair stuff turn my pipes into the Hindenburg?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Auto body fiberglass won't do what you want.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

if you've got the stock aluminum sleeves you might try some steel wool (stainless if you've got a source) around a perfed tube... you wouldn't have to repack it over time like you would the fiberglass. just a thought, plus they're your cans not mine.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had a Honda Interceptor with the same issue, Kerker pipes were really obnoxious. I repacked the with Moose performance packing, then someone clued me into the fact that that glass packing was the same sutff furnace filters are made of ;). $2 at the hardware store, remove the cardboard and wrap the packing around the baffles. Needs to be redone every 3000 mi or so but it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts