Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strike 2, and this time I need to replace more than a puck...

radiator
bars/throttle/shifters
indicators
lights
stabilizer
gas tank
rearset
front fairing
scratched frame

...and that is the obvious stuff. I grabbed too much brake in an intersection and went down hard and fast then into a car. Im pretty banged up but nothing broken. I think there was oil on the road. Luckily I always wear jacket, gloves, boots, full face (even at 90F, like yesterday, in FL) and I needed all of it. Tore the plastic heel off my Sidi boots.

I don't know how much damage there has to be before they call it a loss but I would have to think we are getting close. Crap.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi

It's a shame for the bike but God but the important thing is that you sound ok.

Were you going fast ? What did you wore as pants ?

Still the main idea here is to always ride with your full gear, like you did...

Good luck !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was wearing exactly what you see in my avatar: jeans, Sidi Vertigo boots, AStars GP Tech gloves, jacket with a back protector, Nolan Helmet. Without them I'd be really messed up. Even when it's hot as hell I still wear it, even if its just to the store.

Yeah, too fast. Granted the bike kicked out under me and I think there was oil on the road, but if I was going slower I still would have wrecked, but not as hard. But I dont remember anything about thinking I was *going* to wreck. I thought I was fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Geez it hurts just to look at those pictures... Can't imagine what's going through your mind right now...

Hope you'll be able put put her back upand runnin'

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
went back to the intersection to look for a mirror; oil all over the place. No wonder the thing kicked out on me...

yeah, I don't know what the insurance guy is going to think. I see a few thousand in parts alone. Not really interested in another bike if they can repair it, but this doesnt look that cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank God your ok. If you can't afford to fix it all at once, just do it piece by piece and take your time with it since your not interested in another bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>Thank God your ok.
For sure. And gear. I might have a concussion after all. Couldnt remember my number or address yesterday when asked. Dont even remember the fall. My arm is tingling, so maybe some nerve damage in my shoulder. Collar bone isnt broken but not right. Knee is swollen. And I'm genuinely pretty sore. Waiting on cat scan results.

>it hurts just to look at those pictures...
yeah I was just going through the list again now...

I have Progressive insurance covering $3k in accessories, and $500 deductible on the rest, so I'm hoping it's fixable...

* radiator is toast
* bars/throttle/levers, all need replaced
* turn indicators and mirrors are gone
* ohlins stabilizer ripped off the side
* gas tank leaking gas from bottom
* rearsets are bent
* front fairing cracked
* scratched frame, seat and tank
* clutch cover bent.
* aluminum headlight holder bent
* slider puck needs replaced
* helmet scratched up
* sidi racing boots heel cup torn off

...and thats what I notice. Forks, wheels and frame look ok. So I'm not sure what the claims guy is going to say. I think a nice used S4RS is worth $10k these days(?) so if it is more than half that in repairs, they may just write me a check. And I'm afraid we are getting close to that(?) Maybe $4k just in parts, not including labor. Dunno. I think it might be close.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
You're still good with numbers...that's a nice sign that you're fine! Anyway...how 'bout changing your forum name to "Withdmod3rat10n" the next time the bike ressurects :)

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hey my buddy wrecked his and it didnt seem that bad, they totalled the bike with more than 50% of the bikes worth. But the kicker was that the "Frame" was scratched. if the frame wasnt scratched the bike wouldnt of been totalled. So hopefully everything works out for you. But hey you might just get cut a check and buy a newish one with all the same stuff on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

...the big scratch down the road is my signature. From the tire skid (before the scratch) you could see I was dead center in that oil in the middle. Slick stuff. Should have paid more attention to the ground before I slammed into it:)

Yeah, I'm going through some options and numbers here and I still am undecided. I was just looking at those scratches myself, wondering if there could possibly be more damage there than I thought. It looks superficial/no denting.

Originally I was thinking replace with new. At that price we are definitively in the $5k+ range and I see nice, low mile s4rs's in that range for $10k+, so if 50% is the mark, then we are going to be over.

I guess it may not really be up to me. I wonder since they only give 3k in accessories, if they will let me swap out my termi system with the stock, if they take the bike. That way when I pick up the new S4RS I have a slightly scratched but bad ass set of pipes.

I also wonder about gear. Property damage? Helmet? boots? It definitely has a big scratch where my head hit and it ripped the heel cup off my Sidi Vertigos. I wonder if they pay for that?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
It depends on what company your with. Progressive under the $1000-$3000 accesories insurance it covers anything that the bike has in mods and the accessories the rider is wearing ie. jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, boots, armor, as long as you can prove it was the accident caused it. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts