Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycle: 2003 M620i.e. Dark

Warranty: Nope

Experieince Level: Not nearly enough to have attempted this. I clearly have a major deficeincey in electrical systems as you can see in the "Possible Cause" section below.

Problem: When key is turned to On, the "Start-Up" sound can be heard, but no lights come on, to include the headlight. The bike will not turn over after spooling up. Interestingly, the headlight does come on when the key is turned to Park (or whatever the far left turn setting is). If the key is not turned to Park but merely to Off, the "Start-Up" sound cannot be heard when turned to On. The Immobilizer Light still blinks.

Probable Cause: I chopped the tail and intsalled a Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight. That worked (mostly), but I was left with the License Plate light just sitting there. So, I decided to get rid of it (I'll eventually get another light set-up for the plate). I snipped the light terminal off and then (here it comes) wired the positive and negative lines together. For some reason, I was thinking this would complete the circuit. After realizing I likely just jacked up my bike, I decided to come here and beg for help. I have since seperated the two wires and taped them closed.

What I'm Hoping For: A suggestion for what to do with the wires that formerly connected to the license plate light and also any suggestions concerning how to get my bike running again.

EDIT: I definitely blew my 15 Fuse that runs the lights on the bike. I guess now I just need to know what to do with the wires before I replace the fuse. In addition, if none of this will solve my starting problem, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

In advance, thanks so much for your help!

-TheCheat

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
What is the "start up sound"? The starter cranking?

You completed the circuit big time! Power to ground with no load is called a short to ground. Good thing there are fuses.

As long as the positive wire is taped you are good unless you created another short.

Check all the other fuses first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howie,

Thanks for the input. I checked all the fuses and the only one I blew was the 15 that controls the lights. By the start-up sound, I couldn't tell you what it is. It's the whirring sound the bike makes when the key is turned to On. The sound is heard even if you don't press the ignition button. Is that the starter? Thanks!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The wirring sound when you turn the key on is the fuel pump. The sound you get when you press the starter button is the starter. Do you hear both sounds?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like you shorted it good while installing your Clear alternatives, I have a "friend" who did something similar.

replace the fuse, if you have separated the wires at the license light you have stopped the short. Your bike should be sweet.

Cheers,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All,

Thanks for the assistance! I seperated the license light wires and taped them off. After that, I temporarily replaced the 15 fuse with one from my car and my baby seems to be working fine now. Much appreciated!

Howie - The fuel pump could be heard turning on, but the starter was not working at all. It works fine now though. Thanks again for the help!

-TheCheat

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Great news!! An easy way to address your lecense plate light is a Buel lense or to cut a square hole in the bottom of your lense and glue in a clear piece of plastic.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have the same bike and the exact same thing happened to me when I did my tail chop. Taping cables down did the trick. Never happened again.

-J

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
did you find the problem?
I'm having exactly the same problem right now :(
would be a great help to know was wrong with your bike!
Many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Dead thread. Last log in date from OP was in 2007. That member is long gone. Maybe resurrecting the thread will find a similar issue with a current member.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts