Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided i wasn't going to pay 800 dollars for a 12,000 check up on the bike and did it all myself this weekend! with the help of the DML, and my shop manual, it all went pretty smoothly (just took awhile). I had to adjust my openers on the valves, which was easier than expected :) i think the worst part was riveting my new chain together with the cheap-o chain riveter i had....but it did get the job done. next time it should be a breeze! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
hey well done, i do most of my maintainance too, saves a small fortune, i wonder if ducati ever read this stuff on here cos servicing these babies is toooooo steep !! [clap]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Nice [thumbsup]

It amazing how easy it is, the more times you do it the easier it gets. Ducati would like you think it's black magic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's kinda what i thought at first, but after i pulled off the valve covers i was like "damn that's it?" fun stuff. really.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How much did you end up spending to do your 12k service yourself?

·
Registered
781 Posts
As soon as my warranty's up my first purchase will be a shop manual. Computers though :-\.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aguacate said:
How much did you end up spending to do your 12k service yourself?
new belts (didn't use, originals still good) $60 -ebay
new chain, sprockets, plugs, valve gaskets, some other little things- ~$200ish from ca-cycleworks.com

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
xswimordiex said:
new belts (didn't use, originals still good) $60 -ebay
new chain, sprockets, plugs, valve gaskets, some other little things- ~$200ish from ca-cycleworks.com
How old are your belts?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think you're supposed to replace the belts, regarless of condition. I certainly would if it were my ride. By the time you add in the suspension work I did (DIY style) I've got about $140 or so in parts. The chain & sprockets are in good shape, carbs in good shape, clutch in good shape etc. The valve check didn't take long at all & no adjustments needed [thumbsup]

JM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts