Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm giving up the cruiser, and it's time to step up to the Monster. I want to pick up an 800, so I'm looking to see what people's experience have been like with the different dealers around Boston. Ultimately, I'd like to buy and get service from the same place. I've found it worked out better that way with my Vstar. So if everyone could let me know what your experience has been like with the different shops around it would be great. I've been talking to the guys at Riverside, and they seem nice, but I read a disturbing thread about how they wanted $600 for the 6000 service check up.

I'd like to join your illustrious ranks, so help a brother out.

Hopefully this snow will end and we can hit the roads soon. I'm itching already!!!

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I guess it depends a lot on where you live.

When I got my bike, I shopped used machines at Riverside and Dunbar Eurosports (Brockton). I bought at Dunbar because they had the best used bike available. Never been back because I live north of the city.

You'll definately find advocates for:

Riverside; Al, the GM sometimes still wrenches and he's great. Still, it's primarily a Kawa shop.

Dunbar; Ducati, BMW and (I think) Triumph. The owner is a successful racer and they've apparently got a shop capable of supporting racers.

Eastern Cycle Ducati (Beverly); A Duc-only shop. They have their fans as well. Randy will probably give you as good a deal as anyone.

Seacoast Sport Cycle (North Hampton, NH); just added Ducati last year. Previously a Triumph exclusive shop. They have a very good rep for Triumph work but I don't know to what extent they've gotten up to speed on Ducati. Good guys in any case.

Naults in Nashua. Their head wrench is Kyle who schooled for many years at BCM. Big Honda shop.... You can certainly get good pricing there.

BCM (Laconia, NH); it's only about 70 minutes for me, but if you're anywhere but north of the city, it could be difficult to consider them your primary service shop. Can't be beat. Bruce has an international reputation; with Ducati, with tuners, with racers. He'll treat you right. They know what works and what doesn't; saves you in the long run.

I know nothing about the Worcester store.

Hope this is some help.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what size is your vstar? i only ask cuz if you can afford it, definately consider the 1000. or even a used m900 would be a good choise.

as for dealers, i've heard that bcm's excellent but have never felt the need to haul my bike up for service. i've always had anything i can't handle myself done at riverside. bought both my ducs there, serviced 'em both and have always been pleased.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i ended up getting my bike at naults in NH. i got a great price but the customer service was horrible and i cant recommend anyone to buy there from my experience. i was probably discriminated against by my age, but a customer is a customer and apparently some of the staff forgot about that.

i have my bike serviced at Eastern Cycle. Randy is a good guy and always takes care of me, weather its parts or just questions. i can say i'll buy all my ducs from eastern cycle from now on.

i have not dealt with Riverside, but i was there last weekend and everyone was pretty helpful. Eastern cycle is just more convienent for me as i keep the bike up on the north shore.

good luck.

-steve

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Also, don't rule out a private sale. There's plenty of Monsters in the Want AD (local classifieds magazine available at variety stores). Also check out www.craigslist.com Pick Boston and search for Ducati. There were a few Monsters in there as I recall. Also, I thought T33 was thinking of selling and endot knew of someone as well. Lastly, I know of a guy selling an 01 M900Sie (red). Low miles and well taken care of. He wants $7000 I think. If you want the info, PM me and I'll forward you his email.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep Miles... I have a friend selling his 800s ( I think). It is Yellow. Let me know and I can find out the rest of the info.
t

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think (hope) T33 has gotten over his financial anxiety now that he's sold his WRX. Hopefully the 900S is no longer on the block.

I agree that you shouldn't overlook used. I got mine used with only 2200 miles on it and several of what I considered essential mods. It's been every bit as good as a new bike (13k miles on it now).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely thinking about used, but I'm crazy busy right now. So with what I want to do buying indepently may take a bit to much time for me.

I want to trade in my Vstar (650), and use the trade in as the down deposit. Then finance the rest of the bike out. Selling it independently is a bit more of a hassle than I can't put the time into right now (with work, one of those notorious mutual fund companies). And working with the credit unions to finance the rest out can be a hassle. If I had the time and mental reserve, I'd do it.

But all the feedback so far has been great. I think I might try Riverside. They have an new 2003 800 Dark for $8k.

Oh, and I'm short (5' 5). Riverside said lowering the 800 is pretty easy. But lowering the 1000 would be tougher and cost a fair amount extra.

They had a 620 there that fit me perferctly and they said it would only be $400 to do the same thing to the 800. They mentioned there was a lowering kit for the 620 and 800. I'm guessing they just replace the stock shock.

Anyone know about this?

And thanks again everyone. I don't even own the bike yet and I like the Ducati community.

Gene

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A couple comments.

Buying used doesn't necessarily preclude a dealer. I got mine used from Dunbar. But it does kind of drive you to a particular dealer; the one with the bike you want rather than the one you want to establish a relationship with. OTOH, leftover new bikes are stupid cheap right now. You won't go wrong there either.

On seat height, I'd be surprised if you needed to lower a Monster, ANY Monster. There are people 5'0" and 5'1" riding lowered bikes. Check with Daffe on the board. He's... uh.... not as tall as some of us.

Others have initially lowered the bike because they were uncomfortable not being able to flat-foot (cruisers expect to flat-foot, sport bike riders don't necessarily), and then went back to stock to gain more cornering clearance after they developed more confidence. Maybe you could forget the intermediate stage and just get used to it from the get-go. Monsters are "corner clearance challenged" compared to hard core sportbikes to start with. Lowering them makes it worse. And it's a shame because they are quite capable otherwise!

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Rest assured, fellas - the Monster is here to stay ;D (weeehooo-what a wicked few months that was :eek: -but I'm finally out of the red and that WRX is gone). I guess I'm a bike guy, not a car guy ;D
Miles, wicked potential ride-great price. Pass it on to our new brother.
BostonStranger-go with a 900 ;) It's what I tell everyone after my 620-to-900 swap. A monster just isn't complete without that dry clutch.
For good deals, if you want to travel, my dealer was excellent, honest and gave me an excellent price on both my Ducs. Valley Motorsports in Northampton, MA. Ask for Dan.
I'm with Don about BCM. Heard nothing but good things about them.
If you do go to Riverside ask for Claudio. Ask if you can see his Ferrari :p
T.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice Don. I am definely looking at used and prior year models. All I want is the ability to trade in for the Monster. Just starting to shop around, but one of te first questions I usually ask is what they got used.

You are definitely right about the flooring thing. I been on a cruiser for three years now, so old habits might be hard to break. My cruiser friends still wonder what I'm doing, but I've developed a kinda of crush on the Monster now. As I get closer to making a decision I'll see what I should do, but I'll definitely keep your advice in mind.

I know I need to stop thinking like a cruiser rider.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
I just bought a Monster 620 from Valley Motorsports in Northampton yesterday. They have several leftover Monsters with bigger displacements if you wanted a 900 or 800. Check 'em out at: www.valleymotorsports.com The 2001 Metallic 900 has been sitting at the dealership for a LONG time so you could certainly get a good deal on it.

I talked to Riverside while I was negotiating my deal. They were willing to sell me a new Duc and waive the freight and preparation charges. Valley did likewise so I stayed local. They will try to tell you those charges are mandatory, but they are not.

Valley only has one used Monster, a 2003 620 with 1,900 miles on it. They just took in a 2001 ST2 with only 1,800 miles on it a couple days ago. Sweet machine!

Talk to Valley and get their best deal. Then take it back to Riverside or wherever you want to buy.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Hulked..I think you're riding my old bike. I traded it on a 900 in October.
Is it a 2003 620 with about 4k miles on it?
Let me know. I'm dying to know-and how much did you pay for it :p :p ????
T.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Just for accuracy,

In my big list of dealers above, I made a mistake:

I said that Seacoast Sport Cycles in North Hampton NH is the Triumph/Ducati shop.

Seacoast is in Wyndham and it's an Aprilia (and now Guzzi too) shop. The Triumph/Duc place in North Hampton is Great Bay Motorcycles.

Sorry

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Hulked..I think you're riding my old bike. I traded it on a 900 in October.
Is it a 2003 620 with about 4k miles on it?
Let me know. I'm dying to know-and how much did you pay for it

We didn't buy it. But if it's a yellow 2003 620 that's completely stock, traded into Valley Motorsports in Northampton, that's/this is the bike.

http://www.getamotorcycle.com/dealer_pages/valleyms/bike_detail.asp?unittype=MC&stock_number=U2362&dealer_id=42

They are asking $6199 for the bike. No budging.

If this is the bike, I'd love to talk to you. I had a lot of trouble getting the exact mileage out of them. When I first went in they told me it was 5,000. When I test rode it the odometer said 0. A couple days ago they told me 1,900. I never looked at the paperwork on it. This confusion is one of the reasons I bought new instead. You can search the general monster thread to get the whole gory details of the process.

I did test ride the bike and thought it kicked ass. Valley told me the previous owner traded it in on a bigger Monster.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You can pm me or call me if you need more info on that bike.
[email protected]
Tarik
...and yes, it did kick ass and was broken like a pro should break a bike in.

I can vouch for the break-in. It was a PITA riding a 900 with a guy on a 620 who wouldn't rev over 5k ::)

Not a real big deal in the twisties; I don't mind waiting every once in a while. But when we got in traffic..... well, it's a bit tough to pass three, four cars at a time on a 5000 rpm 620 :-[

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
No worries Don. Those days are history ;)
Now I'm back with some serious power between my legs 8)
[smiley=laugh.gif]

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Wow. That's really funny, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised because I'm getting the feeling that the Monster inspires the kind of loyalty that would find us in an Internet community of other owners.

Your experiences now explain a lot with the bike. I thought I was just crazy, but no one else could figure out for sure what the problem with it was. They had a problem with the immobilizer too when I went to test ride it. It took the red key to start the bike. Valley has really messed up with the mileage. I don't think their salesforce knows the true mileage. It was all too sketchy for me.

I'll tell you though, that bike runs like a top. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts