Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I did one ride through the twisties and my oil light kept coming on the 748 and it stalled 3 times on my way home from work.

So, I pulled the fairing and put about 3/4 of a quart in, and now it's to the top of the sightglass.

What is the best method to get oil out? I don't have a drain plug crush washer.

Turkey baster and tubing? (On warm or cold bike?)

Loosen the drain plug and make a mess?

Loosen the oil filter and make a mess?

Crap.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you can manage the suck some out of the fill hole - that will (potentially) be the least messy. But Might take a while. It would be made easier witha 2nd person (hello Scott!) leaning the bike to the right, so the oil gathers on that side.

Other messier option is to crack the drain plug. In this case, leave the filler plug closed and the bike cold. That will slow the flow of oil.

Don't mess with the filter unless you want a god awful mess

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
What he said. The first time I changed my oil I did the same thing, but I loosened the drain plug... it wasn't as big of a mess as you'd imagine, but it was a mess.

Also, you can be more precise if you use something to suck it out of the filler, since it can drain rather quickly out of the drain plug.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Depending on MacGyverish you're feeling, a turkey baster with a small piece of vacuum line forced over the end will do the job nicely (albeit a little slowly)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips!

We went messy. And it was. Pulling the drain filler plug seemed easiest.

If only we remembered to remove the plastic drain pan afterward when we were warming up the bike.

Now I need to scrape the plastic off the exhaust. ::)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Next time this happens, and it will to all of us who add oil between changes, open the leeeetle plug on the right side of the case bottom about directly under the sight glass. This plug is there to cover up a hole they needed to make when drilling an oil passage inside the block. Usually it just stays there undisturbed throughout the life of the motor. But it provides a nice, fairly-non-messy, way to drain out small quantities of oil from the sump.

Go ahead, ask me how I know this....

[Note: This plug may not be there on engines other than the desmodue, dry-clutch model-- I have no FHE with those, but happy to look at yours and figure it out.]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There's one on the 620's case. I wondered what that plug was about... now i know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
you don't need it now, but other camers who find themselves in a similar spot might consider getting a drill powered oil changing pump or a cheaper hand pump variation (see link below)

i have two boats and reaching the drain plugs is impossible so having one of these things is essential.

the hand pump would be fine for a situation like the one described.

http://www.boatersworld.com/oil-change-pumps-accs.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts