Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 750 tank in the shop, we have painted many Ducati tanks in the past, I have never run across a fill spout like the one on this tank, it is made of brushed aluminium and has a rubber ring or gasket aroud the outside edge, is there a way to remove this part from the tank so I can paint it with getting any paint on the black rubber o-ring.. any help would really be appreciated..Bob

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
If the tank is like the 800, you remove the 6 allen bolts that hold on the center assembly, actually 3 are nonfunctional, and then loosen the 6 small 2.5mm? keys around the inside edge and then, the whole assembly can be pulled out of the tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the normal way for all the other tanks I have done, this one, as I say the cap is removed in the same process you discribe, this will remove the filler cap only, what I am left with is the part made out of aluminium that is still attached to the tank, I don't want to brake it or damage the tank not being sure..Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flavien you are correct, the 8 tiny screw hols appear to be empty, the customer may have already removed the allen screws, would this part then just pop out or would it spin out? thanks for taking the time to answer my question... Bob

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It pops off, but sometimes not as easily as it sounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Norm is right. there is a taurus rubber ring around this part. to put the part in place you oil this rubber (much much easier) and hold it in place while you screw the 8 tiny hex. to remove it try to oil the rubber (sound easy but not) that may help.

Flavien

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The green rubber O-ring should be replaced when re-installing. After it sees gas it swells and makes it difficult to replace cap back in tank. Place cap unit with new green oring on tank Then push cap almost all the way in, THEN install black rubber outer gasket and then push cap unit all the way down. Just did this last week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts