Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to everything about motorcycles but for the past year I've acquired an insatiable desire to learn how to ride and especially own a MONSTER. I have a bunch of friends that have motorcycles. They're all into the "crotch rocket" and I feel that isn't for me. I want speed nonetheless, but I've never been one to follow the pack. Love at first sight is the only thing I can use to describe my first encounter with a Monster. :eek: I've never even seen one on the road, which makes me want it even more. I've actually done a lot of research on motorcycles in general, and have looked at about all of them. I've read a lot of online articles suggesting which bikes are the best for beginners, but none of those included the monster. I thought I should get the opinions of actual Monster owners to get a better opinion. Should a Monster be my first bike? All of my friends with "crotch rockets" had their's as a first bike, so I think.......Monsters don't seem as dangerous and reckless as a crotch rocket. I understand it's all about the rider, but if THEY could start off with R6's and CBR600RR's why can't I start off with a Monster? Well speak out Monster riders....I value your opinions and anxiously await those replies. Oh and by the way....I love all of your bikes. I've gone through the message boards a bunch of times to read about your gatherings and see pics of your bikes and I think this site is great. Thanks again.....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My first bike was a crotchrocket. I enjoyed it the first two years (YZF 600R) but felt I needed something more powerful and different. I had always loved Ducati's, however, the sport models aren't comfortable to ride. I had actually never seen a monster until a friend of mine came over with his new bike (Monster). I think getting a Monster for your first bike is a wise choice. Ducati's are very precise and don't like nervous or iffy drivers. Depending on your size I'd recommend the 620 or 800 to start. Maintenance costs on Ducati's are more expensive then japanese bieks; 600 miles, 6000 miles, and 12000 mile maintenance can cost around $500, the 12000 is closer to $750.

G

·
My Monster was my secong bike, only a few months later. It's comfortable and makes you feel confident when riding it. Upright position can easily be accomodated with repositioning, unlike the CBR and GSXr's. You have my blessing for the monster as a first bike.

R.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I never rode a bike in my life and wanted a monster for YEARS. Finally I just decided to buy it and worry about the rest later. I was lucky enough to get into the NIU riders class @ COD and went from there. I love riding my monster and would not trade it for any other bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The Monster could be a good first bike...low seat height, comfortable ergos, handles well, smooth power, etc.

but you may want to get a first bike you won't care if you drop it a couple times while you're learning.
something like an older EX500 or GS500.
ride that around for a year, then get your dream bike.

-oops, sorry to butt-in on your MOCHA forum, guys, didnt notice where i was.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
The Monster is my 3rd bike and it is as far as I am concerned the last bike for me I love it and it is the best one by far. You will like it Dream.

Hey Monster Hooligan I like you plate!! ;D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
MonsterHooligan does have a good point. You always drop your first bike. So be prepared for that. It doesn't nec. mean you'll drop it while riding, I dropped mine at a gas station when I couldn't get a good grip on the pavement from an oil spot. It's the learn by error method.

·
Registered
724 Posts
yeah.

my first bike is / has been a gs500. i dropped it a couple times learning, but now feel confident about getting a monster. i put a couple thousand miles on it to get confidence, so now i have more confidence that i wont screw up the duc.

you can get a gs really cheap, i paid about 2500 for an '01 with 100 miles on it, if youre worried about screwing up the monster.

it's also roughly half the hp that a 620 has.

...i just can't wait until june, when i finally finally get my monster ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts