Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching a pending bike purchase.
I generally research things to death before I purchase...
in general....
I will try to give a decent but quick overview of me...
I do love safety...
I always covet the sportier special editions of everything...
I have never wheelied on the street... (with a street bike recently) Years ago? Dirtbikes? I was Evel Knievel.

Last bike was (What fit me) an M109. I scraped everything I could on that thing through the north GA mountains...
It wasn't what I wanted... I have since lost a lot of weight...

Now I can choose to ride anything.
I am calmer and much more mature now (56 yrs old)
But deep down inside every-time I start anything that burns gas deep inside I am still...
Ride it like you stole it
Evel Knievel
Speed Racer
and
Hot Rod Lincoln...

So, not matter what. Nothing gets bought without ABS because cagers suck.
BUT
Do I need...
Wheelie control?
Lean sensitive ABS?

Neither on the R...
I am contemplating older machines that will not even have any kind of traction control... I am fine with that closer to 100hp. Or just no rain...

Last thoughts.
Yeah, I cant wait to regain some, and improve other skills so that when I come out of a curve I can just lift that front wheel a little on acceleration...
Would love to be able to come around that turn with the back wheel spinning and sliding... One hand waving (just like in the pictures) but I have 3 grown kids... I think I can stop myself from trying to learn to do that...
I am not afraid... Just trying to be prudent.
Whew thats long.
I am not worried about any other tech specs that are different between them.

When you read or watch a review, Their balls clank and shut everything off.
What do you guys say?

Thanks in advance to all

Rex

·
Registered
619 Posts
Buy what lights you up , Rex. You only go around once ( far as we know for sure).
You can buy a bike with all the electronic nannies on it, they can usually be shut off if you wish. I wouldn’t mind them if I had them, ABS might save my ass some time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy what lights you up , Rex. You only go around once ( far as we know for sure).
You can buy a bike with all the electronic nannies on it, they can usually be shut off if you wish. I wouldn’t mind them if I had them, ABS might save my ass some time.
Do you think you need the lean sensitive ABS?
I mean it's been a long time... but I used to wheelie my RM125... then a 250 around corners in my neighborhood.
Just how wheelie prone will these be?
I mean, I cannot wait to thrash whatever I buy...
BUT
If its gonna truly be hairy...

Point is. I will love both i am sure of it.
BUT
Nobody wants to go down... But if I do, and DONT get very hurt... I will be screaming because its my only bike!!!

Sometimes growing up sucks. Just like many of you. I was on a first name basis at the local emergency room.
as soon as you have to pay for your own teeth and stitches things get complicated...

Rex

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you already plan on riding crazy all the time then your number will probably come up sooner rather than later, so yeah, buy the full nanny mobile. And full body armor, top line helmet, race gloves, race boots, and make sure your insurance is paid. 130 hp on a 400 lb bike will kill you quicker than a rattlesnake if you don’t respect it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends entirely on the loose nut on top the seat.
Mine is not wheelie prone because the nut does not generally go WFO in first or second gear.
Something about not cracking the nut shell open by f'ing up a wheelie.
good info. I think thats me...
But
So many say "Wow, it just come right up..."
besides WFO.. can i get on it...
when it comes up, is it unexpected? uncontrollable?
I want some thing that can... when "I" am ready. Not something that just does it.
I want a fast bike. But not a hooligan/supermoto bike.

Rex

·
Registered
139 Posts
I want a fast bike. But not a hooligan/supermoto bike.
Well, if your 56 years old, and most of riding experience when young, then a supermoto bike is what your getting. (relatively speaking).
I am 66, in my youth (and pain), I had same riding style, impress the friends etc. plus some limited track experience.
130-140 HP is more than double what thrilled me when young. My advice is simple, be careful.

·
Registered
619 Posts
As far as Ducatis go, stay with the under liter bikes. Not that they are “ hooligan” bikes, but when you get under 4#/hp it demands throttle discretion . They are light weight high horsepower motorcycles capable of exceeding the abilities of most of the people who buy them. To keep it in perspective, a 4000 # car with a 400 hp engine is considered a high performance vehicle. Thats more than a hemi powered Dodge Charger. That’s 10 #/hp, or over twice the weight per horsepower of your average 1 liter Ducati.
All we can do here is try to help. Give you the facts. You’re going to do what you’re going to do. Somehow after reading your posts I can’t see a good outcome to this. Good Luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you don't have the self control to not ride like a jackass, don't get a bike. Period. ;)
I do. I really do. thats why I am here trying to figure out if this will act like how I want it to.
I have control. but I also want to be able to play with what I buy.

Rex

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as Ducatis go, stay with the under liter bikes. Not that they are “ hooligan” bikes, but when you get under 4#/hp it demands throttle discretion . They are light weight high horsepower motorcycles capable of exceeding the abilities of most of the people who buy them. To keep it in perspective, a 4000 # car with a 400 hp engine is considered a high performance vehicle. Thats more than a hemi powered Dodge Charger. That’s 10 #/hp, or over twice the weight per horsepower of your average 1 liter Ducati.
All we can do here is try to help. Give you the facts. You’re going to do what you’re going to do. Somehow after reading your posts I can’t see a good outcome to this. Good Luck.
Well, I have been ME, my whole life and I am still here. I am not a hooligan like I once was, but I know that demon still lives inside. I am looking for something that I wont have to replace in a year or so... yet I do not want something that you have to work just to keep the front wheel down. I want something that rocks... But does what "I" want when I want it. not something that seems like it wants to kill me.
There are many other bikes that cost much less and have what seems to be a much greater propensity to wheelie almost automatically. And HP/tqe figures are all over the place...
So are these 1200s just as bad... And just driven by older more sane gentlemen so the videos and reviews don't show it??
If so... tell me to get the wheelie control. Ill use it till it bothers me...
I am responsible enough to be asking...
PS I am also considering the 797/821/1100 among others. I can get a test ride on an 821 and 1200s but not the R or 797 so far.

Remember, like I said at the top.... researching.

Thank you for the input

Rex

·
Registered
619 Posts
You’ve ridden motorcycles, you know how the throttle works. Most Ducatis will wheelie pretty easily but the electronics are there on many of the new models to avoid accidental wheelies. But most any Ducati is light years beyond what you’ve been riding, so be aware. As I said, buy a model with wheelie control. You can always shut it off, but you can’t easily add it. Ducati parts are very expensive. A low speed crash can cost thousands. If you are looking for someone to tell you “ Go for it Rex ! Crank that throttle !” I just did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You’ve ridden motorcycles, you know how the throttle works. Most Ducatis will wheelie pretty easily but the electronics are there on many of the new models to avoid accidental wheelies. But most any Ducati is light years beyond what you’ve been riding, so be aware. As I said, buy a model with wheelie control. You can always shut it off, but you can’t easily add it. Ducati parts are very expensive. A low speed crash can cost thousands. If you are looking for someone to tell you “ Go for it Rex ! Crank that throttle !” I just did.
Thanks Duc. I am not sure I need the encouragement.

on another forum a member stated that the DWC more slows the rise of the front wheel than prevent it, or slam it back down.
Does anyone have enough experience with it to agree or disagree?

Thanks to all again
Rex

·
Registered
139 Posts
I may be wrong here, but what I think you are asking is this; If I get a 1200 Ducati with all the bells and whistles, ie. anti-wheelie, anti-skid etc. etc. Will it prevent me from a moment of glazed eyes madness and 'want to' pull a wheelie?.
simple answer is no. These are 'safety' devices, typically, coming out of sweeping corner, giving it a little too much gas, the last thing most riders want is the front wheel coming up, or getting into a slide. These devices will 'help' the average rider who got into this situation 'unintentionally.'
and no, it will not 'slam' the bike down, would defeat the purpose, and be more dangerous.

So, your out for some fun, ...the eyes glaze over.....If you give it enough throttle and/or pop the clutch and it will either pull a spectacular wheelie, or dump you on your butt. Rider skill level determines which.
Bike has more than enough power to do so.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You either need one of two things connected to the throttle , an Electronic Nanny to limit the bikes ability to pull a wheel stand , OR, your right wrist connected to a brain.
I don’t dislike the computer aided brakes and throttle, ABS is great on cars and if I had it on a bike I’d probably like it. Same with traction control, wheelie control, etc. I wish my ‘Busa had traction control, it’s tricky to turn from a stop onto a busy road without breaking the tire loose. If I was looking for a newer bike I’d probably get all that stuff, skills diminish with age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am probably very similar to you. I am 59 and have just got back into riding with a Monster 821. In a previous life I had a CBR1000RR so I am/was used to handling the power. I was a bit of a hooligan in my day and still have that inside me. I was temped with the 1200, but the 821 really is a perfect match of size, weight and HP. I have ABS and TC and don't consider it too 'nanny' for me. Both are fully adjustable so you can limit how much effect it has. I have never tried to wheelie the 821 from a standing start as I am sure it would be dramatic. If I do want a little fun, I point the bike in a straight line at 3000RPM, open the throttle in first/second and she will give a gentle (manageable) wheelie as the revs climb.

As someone commented earlier, these bikes have a lot of torque. I pull out from a side road into a busy two lane highway in the morning, and its very easy to get the rear stepping out with too much throttle. So I have found the 821 perfect for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A new 1200 S has pretty much the same power as a 1200 R, 5 hp difference and 1 ft lb torque. The 2017+ "S" also has a shorter wheelbase, by about an inch, which should make it a little easier to wheelie if you want. I have an R and you need to want to wheelie it.

In addition to the updated electronics, I believe you have an updated display as well. If you can test ride a 1200 S, the power will be similar to an R. The R also has a slightly wider tank, which you may or may not like. I prefer the R to the newer S personally. Suspension-wise the '17+ S will have very comparable components to the R.

Both bikes are similar. Sure some people like the extra electronics, I don't care for them. I would say get whichever one you can get the best deal on.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wish my ‘Busa had traction control, it’s tricky to turn from a stop onto a busy road without breaking the tire loose.
Right turn from a stop got me on a CBR954 some years ago. Spun the wheel with seemingly not much throttle, fishtailed and tried to ride it out, close but no cigar. Right turn from a stop is the time I have seen the lights flash on the Monster, telling me ABS kicked in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some great stuff guys. Keep it coming if you have more.
Its been raining and raining here, except when the dealer is closed... So I have not ridden anything yet.

My wallet will love it if I ride the 821 and get a woodie...

Rex

1 - 20 of 26 Posts