Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.

the last 3 seasons i have been tooling around on my Aprilia Mille-R, lots of country roads and track days, but hankered after another 2V Ducati (i have had 8 over the years, Monsters and Supersports). I picked up a very tidy M900Sie 2000 and absolutely love it. Light, Good Handling and very easy to place on the road compared to the Mille and super around town.

However. When i am out with my riding Buddy, him on his Tuono, me on the Monster, it just runs outta steam too soon and i am raging the crap out of it all the time.

So i am thinking of selling the M900, plus a Guzzi that i hardly ride and get a Monster 1100. I would love an “S” but they seem to command a premium even over the EVO models of nearly 1000 euro and the EVO models were obviously sold in larger numbers because the small ads are full of them.

Will an 1100 hold up well against a Tuono (bearing in mind the 900 can if I abuse it enough)?

Is the “S” worth the premium?

Is the EVO better than the regular 1100

As fas As DTC goes, I am not really bothered and i can’t imaging needing it on a 90bhp Motorcycle when i don’t on a 130hp Mille.
There seem to be plenty of bikes to choose from, some with an excess of BLING that POs bump the price for but most of which is going to be removed by me as the first thing i do. I’l like a bike that is Stock-ish, but will be happy to have and aftermarket exhaust/mapping and carbon bits in a tasteful amount. NO RED BRAKE LINES OR CHAINs.

Plan C would be new Cams and HC Pistons for the 900, but i think even then it would struggle?

I am trying to get a test ride but that is harder than you’d think, with the two main Ducati dealers here in Berlin not offering test rides on used bikes.

All advice welcome.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think you mainly just need some tuning. If there's so many things you enjoy about the bike, I wouldn't let it go just yet. It's so much easier to unlock the potential on the older bikes anyway. Besides, if you trade up for a 1100 Evo or something like that, then you'll be on here trying to work out all sorts of vague r.sw000x error codes, won't crank, mysterious service lights, ABS problems, and so on. Meanwhile there's nothing on the 900 you can't fix yourself. The ECU is virtually unlocked for endless possibilities. Anyone can go out and buy a fast bike, but they'll never know the satisfaction of taking a slow bike and making it fast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an EVO and this thing hauls... if you are riding under 160-180 kmh then you will have no problems keeping up. I also have an ss1000ds and the power different is apparent.
Just be aware of the low speed factory fueling issues. Mine was a bucking, spitting pig under around 4k rpm, but once I had the valve clearances sorted, cams timed and the fueling(tb sync and trims) done, it is a different bike.
I am a pretty light rider(150lbs-ish) and find the suspension adequate. Having said that, my next investment will be suspension.
And yes, I was shopping an 1100s, but as you are finding, they are somewhat rare. But no regrets!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@davy: Yeah, that's one of the reasons I bought the M900ie in the first place, ease of "fiddling". But having had it in bits - due to the PO ignoring the service schedule - the heads and barrels were off, injectors needed cleaning and the Valves reground i am sort of looking forward to not taking it to bits again. At the time i thought about some JE HC Pistons but decided against it on the basis of "get it running right first" but retrospectively that was ... well, stupid.
Plan D would be to keep the 900 and sell the Mille, but on track days its sooooooooooo awesome so it would pain me to sell it.

@avocet: Looking at power and torque figures i have no doubt that an 1100 "hauls". Setting it up properly or servicing properly is no problem for me to do - been looking after my Ducs and the Aprilia myself for years.

this is the bike that tops my wish list buyers algorithm (i award 1-5 points for 11 critical areas of the bike mileage, condition, extras etc) but is EXPENSIVE. For 1300 euro less i can buy a similar bike, non "s" which is more or less standard.

vs

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For giggles, i packed a few dyno curves together. A Stock 900, Air Filter and Exhaust, Cams Dialed with HC Pistons, vs a M1100 with Termi kit vs my Mille.
the 1100 has ALOT of torque. Yes every dyno is different, i know. But ...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) Yes, she is a HOOT! Has modified set of headers and chip to go with and pulls clean and HARD from 3K all the way through. Goes like stink, will top out at 275kmh (with its shorter gearing) and sticks to the road like **** to a blanket.
Despite being a 2003 bike, 25tKm and really tidy. AND it was cheap (for what it offers compared to a comparable Ducati)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It’s probably cheaper to sell the 900 and buy something faster, but you could just ride your Ape in the first place so it depends if you would rather make the 900 keep up. Is this going to start a power escalation war with Tuono boy ? Have you done the simple stuff , like lower gearing, mapping , lighter flywheel, exhaust and air intake ? Many cheap simple upgrades available to pick up a little punch without having to bust the motor open. If you’re looking for an excuse to buy a different bike, I give you permission.😉

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) Yes the simple stuff i did do when it was apart (should have mentioned this first). Open Airbox Lid, K&N, Throttle body and TPS Sync, DP Map and Slipons, Up 3 teeth at the rear - though with the close ratio box ...

No power war with TUONO Boy, he has just bought it.

Yes i could just ride the Aprilia, but its not as easy to ride and harder to "click" with than most of the other DUCs i have had. Its uncomfortable (i am old), hot and ... awesome. On a track the whole package comes together and its a ton of fun. I am feeling the need/want for something more Street orientated.

Thanks for the "permission", i'll go look at one of the ones for sale and see whats what.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is that your van in the backround? Brings back memories of doing a road trip in a '65 or 66' split window when I was in my 20's through western Canada. Going through the rockies... wow that thing was slow!!! 😆
I also learned, while on the side of the road, that the starter has a bolt that needs to be loosened from the OTHER side of the engine. Yes, it took alot of time and swearing to figure that out...

But back on topic... Your 900 looks sweet, and good luck looking for a new Monster!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, its VERY clean and uncorroded for a 20-year-old Italian bike. Real Garage queen.

No, not my Bus, i share my Workshop with a guy who loves them. There is a 67 VW Firetruck in there too.

I'll report back once i have had a look/ride on an 1100.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How about an Monster s4r or Monster s4rs? I had a 2013 Tuono V4 last year for about 2 or 3 months before I sold it. It didn’t really like low speeds and kept wanting to be pushed, plus it had a few other issues I wasn’t a fan of. I recently bought a s4r with a lot of work done to it and the 120hp at the wheel makes for a plenty usable hp and doesn’t mind the low speed stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did look at a few S4Rs online and one parked up around the corner, Lovely bike but I can't get over the amount of Plumbing, i know that as an alternative it makes total sense. But ... when did buying a Ducati ever have anything to do with something making sense? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did see an 1100HM motor advertised online (1500 euro) and for a moment did wondet how easy it would be to plant in my M900 Frame.
But i have too many Projects as is that need starting and finishing. A 1979 750 Guzzi, a 1984 Vespa and a 1957 IWL Pity. That and a 9 year old daughter mean i really should not be opening new cans of worms.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did look at a few S4Rs online and one parked up around the corner, Lovely bike but I can't get over the amount of Plumbing, i know that as an alternative it makes total sense. But ... when did buying a Ducati ever have anything to do with something making sense? :)
I'm with you on that. They're amazing machines, but in order to truly appreciate them, you have to set aside most of your preconceived traditional notions of what makes a Monster a Monster. And for a "Traditional" guy like me, that can be difficult.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
At some point I’ll probably paint my S4RS radiator black to make it a little less obvious. It’s my favorite bike and I’m willing to spend a bit to improve the things I don’t like ( tank swelling, fork compliance) . The Factory could have made the radiator a little less “ obvious” by shaping it to fit the bike frame better, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I guess my thought in one nugget is this: When the factory has already upgraded the performance of the model, you are fighting a losing battle trying to “ keep up”. You will be better off buying something that meets your standards and expectations. If you “ Love” the bike, there is nothing wrong with throwing money at it to meet your expectations. I’ve done it many times. I’m doing it right now to my SS. I’m having fun upgrading the performance. I already own faster bikes. I like to perfect bikes I have an attachment to, fix what doesn’t meet my personal standards, make the bike Perfect For Me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
At some point I’ll probably paint my S4RS radiator black to make it a little less obvious. It’s my favorite bike and I’m willing to spend a bit to improve the things I don’t like ( tank swelling, fork compliance) . The Factory could have made the radiator a little less “ obvious” by shaping it to fit the bike frame better, but I can live with it.
Yeah, I always figured if I had one, I'd live with it too. But if it ever went bad I'd try and replace it with a longer more vertical style if I could get the fit and aesthetics right. Besides, you could probably get 2 or 3 custom fabricated for what a new one costs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke to the Owner today, he has 6 Ducs! Hence one up for sale. Going to see it on the 26th (cant get there prior to that). Looking forward to the test ride!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts