Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave up on trying to adjust my Sachs rear suspension unit, gritted my teeth hard and handed over the credit card and my only child for an Ohlins.

Now I know what rear suspension feels like - and it's good ;D

My Sachs was originally bottoming out, and skipping over bumps. I cranked up the preload, then had to wind up the rebound to compensate, and I still had a harsh ride that now wouldn't squat under power. The problem seemed to be excessive compression damping, but there was no adjustment for that.

So, here's the new unit:

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very nice. :eek:

Can I ask ask a couple of question...

Did you get a spring tailored to your weight, or was the Ohlins std one good enuff?
Are you thinking of getting rid of your old Sachs unit?
How does the front feel now?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DesmoFan said:
Very nice. :eek:

Can I ask ask a couple of question...

Did you get a spring tailored to your weight, or was the Ohlins std one good enuff?
Are you thinking of getting rid of your old Sachs unit?
How does the front feel now?
It's the standard Ohlins spring. Looks pretty good so far. I've got bugger all preload on it. I'll let it break in a bit and then have another look at the rider sag, but even as is the difference is remarkable. It tracks the road better now (doesn't skip over every little bump) and squats better under power, giving that leopard leaping feel.

I was going to hang onto the Sachs unit, because if I ever sell the bike the Ohlins is staying with me!

The front has its own set of problems, but all I've got to play with is preload and oil. I'm not planning on replacing that (not unless someone donates a better front end - hear me, Santa?). I'm only getting about 60-70% travel with the preload wound all the way back, so I may have to try taking some oil out. The front is also a little 'harsh', and might benefit from a lighter weight oil. I'd have to rig up some easy and reliable way of lifting the front of the bike (engine lift, perhaps) before I get into that. To be honest, the thought of repeatedly pulling off the forks doesn't appeal a lot. Maybe next winter, and test ride on the fine days.

I've had a bit of a front-end wobble powering out of a corner, but I can live with that, as long as it's under power.

I'd appreciate any advice or experience that others have had.

·
Registered
972 Posts
GeoffB said:
I've had a bit of a front-end wobble powering out of a corner, but I can live with that, as long as it's under power.

I'd appreciate any advice or experience that others have had.

Dont worry about it, you were just 'on it' thats all, if in doubt ride flat out. [thumbsup]

Mmick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts