Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my bike as my wallpaper on my computer at work. If I cant ride it, I love to stare at it. My district rep comes in the other day and tells me hes getting a bike (he's 22, Im 32). He shows me pictures of the bike hes going to get (Triumph Speed 4) and that its only $2500. Sweet deal and I say its a nice different non-mainstream bike. He tells me his first bike was a 93 Katana or something like that. I suggest to him he should find a 620 or 750 and play with that considering he says hes not looking for the speed of the katana. He tells me thats a waste of money. I stare at him aghast mouth open. So I ask him if he likes my bike and he says "yeah but I would have gotten a gsxr600, better bang for the buck". So I ask him if he thinks I spent my money unwisely. And his response was "well you are slower than any gixxer or 600 for that matter and cant handle as well, so yeah you got burned". I laughed at him and cringed but still couldnt explain to him the soul you feel when you sit on the monster.

What would you have said?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Probably something like this

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Top speed my friend isn't everything. Additionally who says a gsxr handles better? Have you ever ridden one? I have, my monster rides much nicer than the Jap bikes. I even had jap bikes. I used to get a new bike every year, sometimes twice a year. I've had my monster for 3. So what does that say?

Justin

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Yeah, Suzuki and Honda do great business for doing what Steve Jobs does to people who own Ipods. You buy a new one every year or two and never establish any long term relationship with what you've got. I know people like to brag about how many bikes they've had in their lifetime, but I look at that as they're still looking for the 'perfect' one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Smile, then a little laugh and say "only if you knew"!! Of course when we were 22 we knew everything then too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Everyone has different tastes, right? Lets all be honest with ourselves, if your looking for "bang for the buck", high horsepower/weight ratio and good handling, you really can't beat a Japanese 600. Its true. Take a look at a new 600 from any of the big 4 Jap manufacturers and you'll quickly realize that the kid was right...

I love my Monster and wouldn't trade it for anything, regardless of its speed or handling charicteristics. You have to be realistic though, and know what your bike is and isn't. You also have to be understanding that some people have different priorities.

-Danimal

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Danimal you bastard!

I basically wrote the same thing you did and deleted it cuz you beat me to it.

I agree 100%

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
If all he wants is Bang for the Buck, tell him to buy a Suzuki SV650....then he'll get Monster-clone looks for 60% of the price...of course it'll start rusting in a week, but.....

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
there is no reply, it's like trying t oexplain algebra to a cat

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Some people can only relate to a spec sheet out of a magazine and don't get the individual nature of a bike. All motorcycles are fun. Most of them are fast enough to get you into trouble (legal and otherwise). And they're all worth the cash a happy owner spends on them.

He'll figure it out eventually. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
He's talking about preformance, and he's looking at a Triumph Speed Four? Talk about Irony, that's one of the most under performing bikes out there. So much so Triumph even stopped making them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
surfs1st said:
He's talking about preformance, and he's looking at a Triumph Speed Four? Talk about Irony, that's one of the most under performing bikes out there. So much so Triumph even stopped making them.
But it's fun under-performance (is that a word?). ;D

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I bought my monster over 10 yrs ago.. about a year later a mate bought a new jappa and paid about the same as me (a bit more). Now his bike is worth about 1/2 mine.... so when they talk bang for buck, make sure they see the full picture!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
surfs1st said:
Yep, I would have asked him why the hell he's getting a Speed Four then? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. [laugh]

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
HyperM3 said:
"well you are slower than any gixxer or 600 for that matter and cant handle as well, so yeah you got burned".
until you're a pro it's the rider, not the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I'd also say it depends where you're going to ride the bike. If you plan on doing 90% of your riding on the track, then a I4 600 is just perfect, and certainly a better choice than a monster. If you're riding 90% street though, the I4 is going to always feel pent-up and like you're riding it slowly (unless you go stupid-fast on a pubic road). Plus you'll need to stop every 75-100 miles to get the feeling back in your hands and legs. I've got an R6, an M900 and a Vespa, and when it comes to street work, the R6 stays in the garage almost every time.

And I think the magazines do a disservice by testing every bike as if it'll spend 100% of its time on the track. Yeah, I know all the arguments about the track revealing bike weaknesses, etc. but in reality chances are most people will be more interested in how easy it is to live with day to day than how well it turns in at 120mph.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
HyperM3 said:
What would you have said?

Tell him to go to his room and play with his toys. If you had to explain it to him he would not understand.

I think we want one because we appreciate what it is and are aware of what it is not. We are happy enough or we would get rid of it right?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think we all own Ducati's because there NOT Jap bikes. Jap bikes all look alike, just like jap cars. What would you ather have a 2006 Acura or a 1966 Corvette Stingray with a big block engine? All in all the acura is a better car...........but I'll take the Vette!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts