Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a track day comming up and was going to borrow a buddies set of Nanchi (????) leathers. Well they can't fit around my fat ARSE so now I need to buy some.

Basically I'm down to this decision. Do I buy the Teknics for 325, or do I spring up into the 500 range so I can get something better? I am totaly lost on this to be honest, I can't imagine WHY those Teknics would be bad but perhaps they are?

http://www.newenough.com/teknic_2003_chicane_1pc_suit_page.htm

For about 600 there a lot more options in other brands, but will they serve ME that much better?

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
No FHE, but I'd guess that if the weight of the leather was the same and the stitching was decent they'd be OK.

It seems like you get more comfort/convenience/style for additional $$$, not really that much better protection. (I could be wrong, it just seems that way.) Basically I'd guess how much you spend is dependent on how many track days you do (or plan to do).

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Whats the thickness of the leather? Avoid 1.3 if you are in the fast group.Try to get at least 1.4 or 1.5 mm. Make sure it has CE armor, not just extra padding in knees & elbows.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a non-perfed Chicane suit that I use for cooler days. Suit is well made and is available from newenough at a super price (got mine there). For trackday use I wouldn't worry that much about the difference between 1.3mm and 1.4mm leather. Look at the suit as potentially a throw away if you crash. At the Newenough price, it will work.

One thing, however, the suit does not come w/ hard armor. If that's important to you, you will have to spring for the additional bucks. I use the armor from another suit.

I have a track day comming up and was going to borrow a buddies set of Nanchi (????) leathers.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it doesn't come WITH the armor, but it has places FOR it should you have some? What does that armor Cost?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Suit is padded, but doesn't have hard armor. Lots of different options for hard armor. Most about the same size, the pockets in most suits are big enough for most/all armor options. Check newenough for some ideas.

So it doesn't come WITH the armor, but it has places FOR it should you have some?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Skip the cheap technics. They're only good for one crash. With leathers you pretty much get your money's worth. Think of it as $325 plus (6months later) $700 for a new set. I've gotten 6 crashes out of a Spidi one piece ($700), including one good high-side and a triple digit low-side. They've been successfully repaired twice.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Look on EBay for Spidi suits (quality Italian stuff). Lockhart Philips runs closeouts there once in a while.

I can attest to the quality of the Spidi suits, it's beyond beautiful. I think it's on a par with Dainese.

There is also some interesting stuff on sale at Motowheels, funny color, but looks promising.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts