Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

i done broke stuff... please help me.

846 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sennaster 
#1 · (Edited)
so as i was riding through the campus parking lot this evening, i goosed the throttle a bit and got an unfortunate suprise. horrible, grinding noises, and a loss of power.

i stopped to see what was up, and discovered my chain had come totally off the rear sprocket (and chewed up my swingarm...), and i was missing the end-cap retainer thinger from the left side of the end of my swingarm. i wandered around till i found it. seems like i broke the bolt that connects it to the adjuster.

i could roll the chain back onto the sprocket, but it's too loose to do any good. if i applied more than the slightest power, it would come off again.

so, in order of importance at the moment:

1) anybody have a quick fix that will limp me home?
2) anybody know what i'll have to buy and do, to actually fix this?
3) anybody know why this would have happened?

#2 ·
You'll have to buy a new adjuster plate and bolt. You may have some trouble getting the rest of the bolt out of the carrier. There is a tiny hex head bolt in the end of the adjuster bolt to keep it from backing all the way out, you'll need to get that out first. Don't be tempted to just screw the rest of the bolt through the carrier, you stand a ggod chance of ruining the threads in the carrier if you do.
What likely happened is that your adjuster got loose and allowed the adjuster plate to turn into the sprocket carrier. That allowed your axle to move forward and loosen the chain. Proper torque on the axle and adjuster boltis, and checking them regularly is key. Some people safety wire the plate in position, I use zipties.
I don't know what your options are on a quick-fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.