Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done installing a 14t my initial impressions are it just feels like it should down low. It didn't feel like a night and day wheelie machine or anything. Although I must admit I only went on a 1mi round trip to warm up the chain to wax it, after it sets up I'll go ride for the rest of the day.

If it's ok with everyone I was thinking this could be an ongoing thread when you do something to your bike that might not warrant a new thread post it here. I'm waiting on more parts that won't be coming till next week, due to back orders. My machine should move out well when everythings on. Hopefully it'll tide me over till spring. >:D

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Just installed a set of DP mirrors (got them at Martin's Fire Sale [thumbsup]). Much cooler than Mickey's auditory organs, and they even vibrate less!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
DukeOddy said:
Looks good OT. How much did you pay for them? Also, what kind of grips do you have?
Don't have the receipt handy, but $102.00 (at the 20% off sale, with tax) sounds about right. It was a one-day sale (but probably worth a call, still, to see if they'll deal - ask for Bill)

Grips (also got them at Martins Euro, last fall) are ProGrip off-road/rally grips. They're not mushy like foam grips, but do have an edge-to-center-to-edge contour where its thicker at the the center of the grip than at the edges -- fits nicely in the palm of the hand...helps an old guy like me stabilize my wrist.

Model No. 714 - not just red...and note that you'll have to cut open the ends to install (if you have bar-end weights or lane-splitter mirrors)

http://www.progrip.com/default.asp?tip=8&ite=gri

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Great. Thanks for all the info. I think I might give them a call about the mirrors. I have always liked them but with our local shop always wanting high MSRP I never ordered them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd the front is very light and at times just kissing the pavement. (Keep in mind I'm not out there trying to hang the front or anything either)

I don't know what more to say about it other than it feels like it's geared closer to properly now. The bike always had power and it doesn't really feel like it has *more* power, It just feels like the power it has covers a much broader RPM range. The current gearing is 14/40 I might go 14/43 though.

I'm waiting for the parts to revalve my forks and a procutting clutch basket/aluminum plates and billet clutch hub.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Justin Sain said:
Under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd the front is very light and at times just kissing the pavement. (Keep in mind I'm not out there trying to hang the front or anything either)

I don't know what more to say about it other than it feels like it's geared closer to properly now. The bike always had power and it doesn't really feel like it has *more* power, It just feels like the power it has covers a much broader RPM range. The current gearing is 14/40 I might go 14/43 though.

I'm waiting for the parts to revalve my forks and a procutting clutch basket/aluminum plates and billet clutch hub.
What's the 'slowest' speed you can comfortably do in 1st gear (before you need to slip the clutch or the engine 'balks')...curious wrt tooling around town in slow or stop/go traffic

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I just installed these mirrors ( so Steve could see ) until he gets his own bike.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
i rode my monster today. i was a jerk in traffic and kept bouncing the front end when the guy in front of me was idling along looking at the deer in VFP...it also helped to scare the deer away so he had nothing to look at. ;D

justin...idk if you know this, but anytime you have the revs up(around 5-6K on my bike) then drop them and brign the gas right back on the front wheel will start to go up. with the 14 tooth if you accellerate hard from rolling you should bring the front wheel up. make sure you cover the rear brake on hard accels.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I agree with what you said Justin, dropping a tooth in the front feels like it should, not exactly sure what they were thinking with the gearing it comes with stock. It does definitely make the front end lighter without question though, under hard acceleration I'll power wheelie through first second and a little in third even while leaning over the bars.
I don't think my top end suffered much either, i still get it to 130, (which is a bizarre feeling in itself without a windshield).
Only suggestion i would make is that these bikes definitely need steering dampers...big time

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
i've heard that the stock gearing is to help it meet the noise reqs. higher gearing = lower rpms wich means less noise.
Aren't the tests for meeting noise reqt's made at a specified rpm (4000?) with the bike in neutral? If so, gearing not a factor.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Gene - like the mirrors [thumbsup] sounds like you got a good deal! I bought mine from Spareshack for like $125 and that was the best price I could find at the time.

As for the gearing thing... I've heard the same thing (about it being done for sound requirements) and I've also heard it gives the manufacturer the ability to publish a higher top speed

·
Registered
541 Posts
I put darwin fish on my exhaust cans to piss off my neighbor today. [laugh]

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.