Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning it was 10 degrees out when I geared up and headed for work.

On the ride in, I stop and a stoplight behind a couple of guys in a beat up old Ford pickup that has it's back window knocked out and the drivers window is up about 2 inches like it won't roll up all the way. So the driver motions back at me and I gather a snide remark is made about me riding the bike and the bundled up goon in a couple of greasy jackets and a half dozen stocking caps shakes his head and laughs in my direction...
Whatever.

I arrive at work and get changed out of my gear. Walking back to my desk(all of 30 steps to the bathroom), several people stop me and ask if I rode the bike in. I glance at my helmet and quickly stop myself from a here's yer sign moment and respond with a simple, "Yup. At least until there is ice on the ground.". They nod in stunned silence and I move on to the next one to ask the same question.
Once back at my desk, everytime someone walks by or stops to ask me a question, looks at my gear on my shelf and says "I can't believe you rode your bike today..."

Even the woman on the other side of the wall asks me and she has ridden her bicycle in to work today. Sure, not 75 mph on the freeway, but cold nonetheless and no faceshield to boot...

I have always ridden when it has been cold out. Never phases me. The worst part has been since I started this job, even the other motorcyclists look at me like I am insane. Of course most of them are Harley riding wannabes who don't even get their bikes out when the weather is below 65 and there may be a cloud in the sky.
I do have one of the guys asking about cold weather gear though. He rides his RC51 year round but shys away from really cold days because of lack of gear.

So...Am I insane? Or are the other folks just jealous?

Ryan

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
You're insane. :)

But, if I had proper gear, I might have ridden to work today despite it only being 3 friggin' degrees this morning. With what I have currently for gear, 40 degrees is about it for me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
So...Am I insane? Or are the other folks just jealous?
Yup!! Let's confirm it here, you are insane. And the other folks, just a normal reaction to a lunatic in their presence.

;D [clap]

Here in Alaska, I ride with the polar bears and walrus. Welcome to our loony bin [thumbsup]

·
Registered
393 Posts
The other week I rode out when it was -24 F. It was raining. And I didn't have a jacket on. Or a helmet. Then I went about 180 mph and did a backflip.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I get the same thing. I rode home last night in the winter storm that was moving in. Rain, thunder and lightining mixed with a little sleet. I've rode down into the teens. Here's my winter gear: Moto Gp nylon pants that are waterproof with a removable quilted liner(haven't used it yet), Moto GP nylon jacket, insulated underwear bottoms, under armor shirt and long sleeved shirt on top and a pair of ski gloves. If it gets below 30 I will wear a set of Frog Toggs over everything else to cut the wind. I never get cold. The wife thinks I'm a stud ;D I like the cold better than the Duc though, she's kinda hard to start below 30 [laugh]

·
Registered
541 Posts
I do it...i love when you get The disbelieving looks form other riders.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Here in central AR I haven't ridden quite that cold. If its going to be nice in the afternoon, I don't mind frost in the morning. Just like your coworkers, I get similar responses. It doesn't matter how many days in a row I ride. Its still "I can't believe you rode today". I just stick my cold hands on the back of their necks.
JP

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Absolutely nuts. [thumbsup] I like that.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
ZLTFUL said:
So this morning it was 10 degrees out when I geared up and headed for work.

On the ride in, I stop and a stoplight behind a couple of guys in a beat up old Ford pickup that has it's back window knocked out and the drivers window is up about 2 inches like it won't roll up all the way. So the driver motions back at me and I gather a snide remark is made about me riding the bike and the bundled up goon in a couple of greasy jackets and a half dozen stocking caps shakes his head and laughs in my direction...
Whatever.
Where do you live?! Michigan??

Ahh..Nevermind..Iowa!

All those states are preety much the same!! [laugh]

You're not Insane Ryan..you're inF*CKINGsane!!

10*?! ?! !!

;)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
yes, you are insane, but you're in good company.
around this time of year people keep telling me that i have to put the bike away soon. i look at them with the same look of disbelief and ask why ;D

i have ridden on light ice, but if there are huge chunks left on the road or if it's sticking i won't ride.
can't wait to try out the XR in the snow. [cheeky]

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
yes, you are insane, but you're in good company.
around this time of year people keep telling me that i have to put the bike away soon. i look at them with the same look of disbelief and ask why ;D

i have ridden on light ice, but if there are huge chunks left on the road or if it's sticking i won't ride.
can't wait to try out the XR in the snow. [cheeky]
Dad's buddy rides all year around to the GM plant in Lansing..snow, black ice, ice storms, etc. WTF?! !! NUTS!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
that's how i learned to ski...riding on ice

there's no thril quite like having your bars at full lock and going straight.

That's how I learned to drive!! Feb B-day. Got my license in the winter. Learned how to turn into the skid really quick! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

One thing I miss about winter..driving on snow and ice!! >:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.