Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my questions posted on your message board over the past few months. it helped me decide, ducati or buell. this past weekend i purchased a 1999 M900. the bike has 2,600 miles, stage 2 jet kit, d&d exhaust, tach, some carbon fiber bits and has had the tail loped off. i love it.

i would like to know if a steering damper is as important as it seems to be in some of the posts i've read. if so, what brand?

Thanks again
Joe Burns
New Monster Owner!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congratulations Joe!

As to your question: I don't know. I've read the same posts. I don't know under what kind of riding that the tank slappers occur. Some make it sound like it'll just happen without any perceived cause. Sounds strange and a little disturbing to me.

But I run my bike pretty hard. I put my first 4000 miles on my 02 750 without any indication that the front end wanted to fight me. I scuff my tires all the way to the edge. I've come down in awkward angles from wheelies. I've skipped my front tire sideways by making the front end too light while accelerating in a turn. I dunno....

I'm sure this thread will attract a few Monster owners that have experienced tank slappers who will be happy to pass on a warning. I'm sure its unnerving to be in one.

Hey...enjoy your new bike. I'll bet she sounds as good as she looks! 8)

Ride Safe,
JJ

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Tank slappers can occur under totally unexpected circumstances. The ones I know full details on involve slight acceleration and either cresting a rise in the road or going over something that causes the wheel to bounce out of contact with the pavement, even by very small amounts.

Having experienced a tank slapper personally last October, which totalled my Monster, I have to recommend the addition of a steering damper. I won't own another Monster without one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do a search to find out more on the steering dampeners. There have been some pretty complete discussions on that in accesories and mods I think...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congrats! And a steering damper is going on my bike shortly.
Cheap insurance with no real downside.(other than the cost, but still cheaper tha skin grafts)
Enjoy your new ride ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
O.K. you guys are scaring me now. I bought an m900s about a month ago. Due to the Arctic Indiana winter, I've done nothing but sit on it in my heated building. It runs great and I've gotten fairly proficient at making vroom-vroom sounds.

How common is a tank slapper?
Should I be terrified?

Dirk

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! ;D

As to a damper, I have no first hand experience, but I am installing one today after reading all the discussion; figured insurance is a way of life, in more ways then one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok,
A lot of discussions on the damper(dampener) topic. I beg to differ from some opinions which are strongly held. But this is what I was told (and experienced by me) by Bruce at BCM. ducs are usually rear weight biased making the front end lighter and slightest disturbance in the ride can actually upset the bike pretty bad. this is where a dampener might help.
But then again front end on a monster is even lighter because of the upright riding position which is attributed mostly to the bar. Hence the solution clip-ons. which makes u lean on to the front a lot more than the stock bar and hence add weight on the front wheel. I am telling this from my own experience... when I had my stock bars I felt the bike twitchy goin at high speeds around a corner and now i feel the bike planted.
Riding my bike after the clipons bruce said putting on a damper would actually do more bad to the handling on a monster with clipons than to improve it.
And I like the way it is so far 15000miles not a problem. I did experience a slight slapper goin around a small corner at 100+ mph speed and was almost ready to put on the damper but before I did that I checked the tire pressure and my front was around 10psi when it was suggested that I have around 30-32.
My plug started leakin and I dint realise that.
Reading similar posts about dampers I actually got a damper from spareshack before i got the bike but it never made it on to the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts