Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with that? Keep the shock clean or something? Any real reason I shouldn't take it off and throw it away?

-Don

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Ill give ya 20 bucks for it, if ya decide ya dont need it.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I took the hugger off the day I got the bike, No ill effects, and honestly I don't notice my shock getting any dirtier than Laura's.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I think it's really cold out and her tongue is stuck there!!! ;D

G

·
The local shop said that the road grim can get into the shock and ruin the seals, I took a carbon fiber on and cut it down considerably, it looks good and provides a function.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why they put rubber boots and chrome covers on the fork sliders way back when, but mostly they stopped kicked-up gravel from dinging the chrome-plated shafts. And in the case of the covers, they trapped moisture, the shafts rusted and took out the seals that way.

In the back, the main risk is debris lofted by the tire. Nothing big's gonna make it all the way forward to the shock, but water and mud might. The shock should be able to handle that fine.

My KLR 650 has a similar single shock set-up. All the experts were recommending cutting up some inner tube rubber and riveting it aft the shock to provide similar protection. I didn't, and 30,000 miles later, the shock shaft, spring and body look and work just fine.

-Don

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I yanked mine off first thing, along with the cabon exhaust covers by the foot pegs. Things get a bit dirty down there when it rains, but I tend to keep her pretty clean, so I'm not worried.

One option I though might be nice is this:

A red one would match the plug wires, so that I don't have black, read and yellow bits.

Of course, I don't run any belt covers either....

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
dj that looks like a shock warmer. It provides the same purpose as tire warmers. It preheats the shock oil so that the oil is approx the same temp as when it warms up naturally. They work slick!
And just so people dont think Ive been "hittin da pipe" heres a link to the Traxxion Dynamics one.

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SW

But after abit of research that is a cover used by Dirt bike and Quad guys to keep the sand and dirt off their shocks Hmmmm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts