Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay...
i rarely will speak out against any vendor whether they're a sponsor or not, but this is flat out silly. some folks praise TPO goods because they offer detailed instructions with all their kits, etc... some people blast TPO kits because they're overpriced for what they actually contain.

i typically don't comment. but this is flat-out silly:

http://www.tpoparts.com/products/clutchspacer.html

detailed instructions to install what are essentially thick washers? come on... $22 for what are essentially thick washers? come on!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Re: how to waste $22 + shipping... "clutch sp

maybe you didn't notice the "precision-cut custom machined aircraft grade aluminum"... :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

And it does come with detailed instructions!
How do they figure it's as strong as stock? If you lay down, all the weight is to be distributed by only 4 small points, rather than the entire perimeter.
Truth is, some people will buy anything.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

okay...
i rarely will speak out against any vendor whether they're a sponsor or not, but this is flat out silly. some folks praise TPO goods because they offer detailed instructions with all their kits, etc... some people blast TPO kits because they're overpriced for what they actually contain.

i typically don't comment. but this is flat-out silly:

http://www.tpoparts.com/products/clutchspacer.html

detailed instructions to install what are essentially thick washers? come on... $22 for what are essentially thick washers? come on!
I dunno. How about $25 (+shipping) for this:

Instructions
One pair of custom machined plug screws
One tube of Loctite #620 retaining compound
One vent hose fitting
One pair of custom machined rearset spacers

After all, who among us hasn't worried about "all manner of serious problems, including binding of the rear brake, exhaust mounting problems, uncomfortable seating, and even breakage of the rearset itself due to irregular loading!" after removing their emissions canister?

I know it keeps me awake at night fraught with fear...

http://www.tpoparts.com/products/emissionssystemm.html

"If you remove the emissions canister, there is a gap created between the rearset and the frame. If this isn't dealt with, the rearset will be crooked. This can cause all manner of serious problems, including binding of the rear brake, exhaust mounting problems, uncomfortable seating, and even breakage of the rearset itself due to irregular loading!"

·
Registered
5 Posts

Ok folks everybody listen up I've done the math. I think its all about the "High grade Aircraft aluminum". If you buy the emissions kit its 25$ and includes 2 washers. but if you buy it without its $10. So that means 2 washers are $15. If you buy the clutch kit it is $22 for four washers which at the going rate is actually a $8 savings over the emmisions washers. However the catch is I do not have the sizes of the washers for either kit which means this could all be for nothing in which case you have just wasted 10 seconds reading an absoultely worthless post. Sooooooooooo sorry I am just bored. Some are all not so mechanically inclined (I am actually an aircraft mechanic) so maybe they have to buy stuff like that. Not quite sure why every body pawns Aircraft grade aluminum. I would go with aerospace grade aluminum sounds mooooo betta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

yep... that's another beaut. at least for the emissions removal stuff, there are some folks who will find value in the instructions (even though they're readily available on this board if you do a search). never mind the fact that putting spacers when you pull the bracket is not the solution i'd personally opt for (why not remove the spacers at the bottom of the footpeg bracket to be symmetrical with the left side?)...

·
Registered
5 Posts

HHHaaaaaaaa I got you again. Not everybody knows about this board, and we are all not as smart as you. Mr engineer smart guy. yeah..... I'm just clownin. Not alot to do right now. It is sunny and 70 degrees and wouldn't you know I don't have a bike yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have a set of light weight space age polymer spacers that is spacing my Ducati Racing open carbon clutch cover, that would hit the clutch other wise. I paid 20 cents each x 3 at the hardware store. :) strengh is not a issiue for if I drop it I am F'ed anyway.

·
Registered
735 Posts

You cannot blame the guy for marketing stuff like that. If I could get someone to pay me $25 for a $5 kit, I would be pleased, that is awsome ROI! The people that buy those kits now there are some non-creative individuals.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

For the clutch spacers, you can just peel the original ones out of the stock rubber gasket. That's what I did day one.

Total cost (+shipping): $0.00

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

I bought the TPO emmisions removal kit at 5303 + shipping. To me it was worth it because I am super lazy. If not for the kit I'd still have that crap on my bike!

:-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

maybe some of those neat packing peanuts come with the clutch washer :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

I think there will be some instances that the owners of this board send a "sponsor" their money back and decline to list them as a sponsor any further. This is one of those few times. The whole idea of presenting some thick washers with instructions for $22+ is offensive.

Yes, MonstaS4, we can blame the guy for marketing stuff like this. It's unethical and is a complete contradiction of the service and products that we expect from our sponsors.

The whole reason this board is so popular and well respected is because we help each other out for the pure love of Ducati's not to make a fast buck off the ill-informed. I for one will NEVER buy from or recommend TPO.
I agree.

I think the phrase "opportunist preying on newbies with disinformation and hype" fits this 'sponsor' all too well.

I believe the endorsement implied by sponsorship carries responsibility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts