Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed heated grips on the SV. I had to cut the loom around the ignition wiring to tie in the power supply. I taped everything up using electrical tape, but the wiring is still somewhat exposed to the elements. I ride in the rain fairly often and don't want the wiring to short-out.

I can't really use regular heat-shrink tubing because of where the power wire splits off and the terminals under the tape. Is there anything out there in a sheet (or similar) that I can wrap around everything, then use a heat gun to bond it in place? Any other options?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yup the self fusing or self vulcanizing tape is good. One can also find liquid 'electrical tape' at most hardware stores. It's a thickish liquid that dries in to a flexible insulating coating. Godo for odd shapes, nooks, or the backs of circuit boards.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check it out! [thumbsup]

Can I apply either of these over the pvc electrical tape I already have in place?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Count Desmo said:
Thanks guys, I'll check it out! [thumbsup]

Can I apply either of these over the pvc electrical tape I already have in place?
I would pull it off, you want the rubber stuff wil adhere directly to the wiring. Which is what you want.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yuu said:
One can also find liquid 'electrical tape' at most hardware stores. It's a thickish liquid that dries in to a flexible insulating coating. Godo for odd shapes, nooks, or the backs of circuit boards.
+1..good luck ;D

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
good advice here, definitely take the stuff you put on there off now before it turns into a really gooey mess and go grab some rubber electrical tape or friction tape to do the wrap

I wouldn't recommend the liquid stuff, I've used it on numerous applications and it just doesn't hold up well...

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a German company called Wurth, (umlauts over the U please , but my keyboard does not have them) which makes all kinds of cool sprays. Aluminum paint, electrical contact spray, contact cleaners, etc. I have used them with great success. They might have something for your application.

CAG

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
CAG said:
There is a German company called Wurth, (umlauts over the U please , but my keyboard does not have them) which makes all kinds of cool sprays. Aluminum paint, electrical contact spray, contact cleaners, etc. I have used them with great success. They might have something for your application.

CAG
Except Wurth (with the funny dots) only sells to industry and shops. He will find what he needs at Home Depot. Lowes or an Eletronics parts shop.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ducman851 said:
Except Wurth (with the funny dots) only sells to industry and shops. He will find what he needs at Home Depot. Lowes or an Eletronics parts shop.
Not true - if you do some hunting around online you can get Wurth products as a regualr Joe Consumer. I've got a couple cans of various Wurth goops at home. You might nto be able to get the full product line, but it can be found.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
yuu said:
Not true - if you do some hunting around online you can get Wurth products as a regualr Joe Consumer. I've got a couple cans of various Wurth goops at home. You might nto be able to get the full product line, but it can be found.
If thats true I stand corrected. Ive worked in Auto shops for going on 25 years and have used Wurth and Wizer products. They usually dont sell retail.

If you have to go searching for it then how convenient is it ;)

The 3M stuff is readily availible.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ducman851 said:
If thats true I stand corrected. Ive worked in Auto shops for going on 25 years and have used Wurth and Wizer products. They usually dont sell retail.

If you have to go searching for it then how convenient is it ;)

The 3M stuff is readily availible.
It's just a bit hard to find... you need to search on a specific product to find any good stores that carry Wurth products. And they tend to be smaller, car botique/tuner sites. Not the big sites. I searched for Wurth HHS and got:

http://www.focussport.com/wurth.htm

http://www.carcareonline.com/

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
yuu said:
It's just a bit hard to find... you need to search on a specific product to find any good stores that carry Wurth products. And they tend to be smaller, car botique/tuner sites. Not the big sites. I searched for Wurth HHS and got:

http://www.focussport.com/wurth.htm

http://www.carcareonline.com/
Ok, but why if need something such as a roll of tape would you order online, pay shipping, and then wait.

As I said its readily availible at most places. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can vouch for www.carcareonline.com I have ordered from them in the past. They carry all the 3-M stuff and most of the Wurth products. The guy who owns it is a Porsche guy for years. Quite helpful and friendly.

I mentioned the Wurth because it is good stuff and has worked for me.

CAG

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've also used tool dip grip to do the same thing. Think stuff that dries to a rubbery coating. Found at most hardware and auto places. It's available ina few different colors generally too.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The liquid tape is the best. Dielectric grease is for connections, not for covering wire.

I am looking for something to cover my PCIII wires. I don't love the exposed 24ga wires going to the injectors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts