Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to ride a monster 620 for the first time, i have driven only stick shift sports cars and dirt bikes in my past, what do i need to know before riding a 620? how do i start it, how do i shift? may sound silly, please dont make fun just try to help, tahnks alot

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The 620 was the bike the 3rd time I ever rode. It isn't hard.

take a look at
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/manuals.jhtml
download the 620 manual and look at positions of all the controls.

To start it, you will probably need to be in neutral, and with the sidestand up. Make sure the kill switch is in the run position, turn the key to the run position, and then press the start button.

Let the bike warm up before going, it will make things easier.

Shifting is just like any other bike, pull in clutch, shift, let the clutch back out. On a 620, from a stop, to get going you will want to let the clutch out more slowly, and with a light amount of trottle to help get the bike rolling. I would practice feeling the friction zone with the bike stationary before getting going. The friction zone practice is the first 2 hours in a MSF class. Don't be afraid of the power - it is there, but it is predictable, and not like a 1 liter race bike.

Above all, stay calm, be careful, wear a helmet at the minimum, and don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.

I left a lot of stuff out, but you need a MSF class to learn more.

mitt

·
Banned
551 Posts
Is this your bike - are you renting - test riding?

Take the MSF. If you are testing it - take it to a big empty parking lot (like at a school on the weekend) with someone who knows what they are doing. Please don't ride on the open road until you have take the MSF or some other proper course yet.

You really need the basics in a controlled environment.

Make sense?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx alot! any more help will be greatly appreciated... ill be riding it about 60 miles, dont want to feel unsafe at any time :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive actually bought the bike and im riding it home tomorrow...

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I agree it is not the ideal situation to learn, but it has been done before.

A guy in my MSF class in Iowa bought his 1st bike off ebay 2 days before class, about 400 miles away in Ohio, had his girlfriend drive him there, then he rode it back to Iowa with no license or experience.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Practice getting your bearings on the machine...

specifically where your footpegs are...

actually took me a while to be able to automatically take-off and get my feet planted on the footpeg in the new (to me) riding position...very impressive flailing the legs around as one leaves the stop line

also I had to go from a lifetime of right side shifting to the left side control...that led to a few amusing moments

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Yes, I agree, please take the MSF course. Try to trailer the bike if at all possible, or throw it in a truck. I've heard of too many unhappy stories of newbies on brand new bikes pulling out of the dealership onto a busy road. Please be careful bud. Congrats on the new bike though!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i doubt ill have any probs .. only thing im worried about is gettign the thing started and taking off without it looking like a goof lol... is it the law to wear a helmet in houston? i dont think so?

·
Banned
551 Posts
Hey Arkons - I don't want to come across like some kind of gear nazi. But if this is your first time on a bike wear a helmet and wear full gear. If you are going to go down - it is more likely to happen when you are new to a bike - and especially new to riding in general. You won't believe what a 15 mile an hour drop with no gear can do compared to a 15 mile/ hour drop with appropriate gear. Plus - it can't be that warm in Houston now.

Do you have anyone around you that has been riding sport bikes for a long time?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Tanti auguri (=gongrats) on a new bike.

Let us know how it went when You get back home,

and show them pics !

Skier

·
Registered
915 Posts
Let me be blunt even though I am a noob...Don't ride the bike home...trailer it, truck it, have the dealer deliver it, have a friend ride it...you said that you've ridden dirt bikes? Then you should know how to shift it....but why take the chance? It might not be you that makes the mistake, but somebody in a cage that cuts you off, tailgates you or something else...in my opinion it just isn't worth it to take the bike home by yourself if you are that unsure.

Take the MSF--drop one of their bikes in an emergency stop and you'll feel much better when you hop on yours.

gnew

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I suggest some practice in a parking lot for a while. Get used to the clutch- let it out slowly untill you start moving (w/o the throttle) that will get you used to where you need to appy throttle. Do some straight runs- not fast or anything and practice stopping and putting your feet down.
Although there is no helmet law in TX, I think anyone that rides without gear is foolish. I have ridden with people that have decades of experience, and wont ride a block w/o a helmet.
I think the best advice is not to rush it. Just take your time- remember to look where you want to go through a turn--VERY IMPORTANT! Your bike will go where you are looking without fail- that was the cause of my lowspeed crash, and I am sure alot of the others have done the same thing. I was staring at the sand and rocks on a corner and I drove right into it. Good luck, congrats, and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
is it the law to wear a helmet in houston? i dont think so?
asking how to ride it and thinking of not wearing a lid, yikes! :eek:

cngrats and good luck with the new ride. ;D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You poor bunch of saps! Even I didn't fall for this one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts