Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one got a FAQ or step by step so I do not screw this up ??? Looking fo a Monster S4 specific if possible.

I just ordered up 10 spark plugs. Lets see if it helps me out on cold starts !!

THANKS !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
very straight forward... especially for the forward cylinder!

1 - unplug connection from lead wire to the on-head coil.
2 - PULL coil out of sparkplug hole
3 - using appropriate sized DEEEP socket (i forget which off top of my head, i'll post again tonight if nobody follows up), remove existing sparkplug
4 - install new sparkplug!

pretty much the same business for the vertical cylinder but you'll need to lift the tank (be sure it's less than 1/2 full to avoid spillage), and remove the battery to get access to the plug.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Personally, I just pull the plug wire off the plug, never pulled the wire from the coil, but whatever. One thing to know for a first time plug changer, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN YOUR PLUGS! when you put the new plugs in you dont need to crank those suckers in there. It takes a fairly large socket wrench to use a plug socket so you will have alot of leverage, if your not carefull you could overtighten and strip out the threads, very bad. Just put it on finger tight and then give it one little snug turn with the wrench. If your worried it will come loose just check it every so often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I just pull the plug wire off the plug, never pulled the wire from the coil, but whatever.
i think the step i outlined is S4-specific. other monsters have remote coils and you're right... pulling the plug boot is easy enough without messing around with the coil. with the s4 though, the coil is ON the head and the wires that connect to them don't have enough slack for you to pull the "boots" off the plugs without disconnecting them first.

One thing to know for a first time plug changer, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN YOUR PLUGS! when you put the new plugs in you dont need to crank those suckers in there. It takes a fairly large socket wrench to use a plug socket so you will have alot of leverage, if your not carefull you could overtighten and strip out the threads, very bad. Just put it on finger tight and then give it one little snug turn with the wrench. If your worried it will come loose just check it every so often.
very good point to add! just as with oil filters... spin to hand-tight and then just snug a bit.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I did not know that about the S4s. Ducati does some strange stuff with their bikes, I guess thats what gives um personality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
these pics are of the horizontal cylinder.

pic of coil with lead wire connected:
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/coil1.jpg

close-up:
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/coil2.jpg

here's a pic of the coil removed... just get a good hold on the top (after disconnecting that wire) and PULL it out. this can be done by hand (no pliars necessary or recommended):
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/coil3.jpg

with this removed, you've got access to the sparkplug. when you install the new plug, seat this back by hand. no hammers necessary, but it does require a reasonable amount of force. you'll feel it click into place.

this coil-on-head design is the same that's used on the 749/999. but interestingly enough, it's not used on the new S4R. the S4R uses remote coils just as on the ST4S. i found this to be the reason why an ST4S ECU wouldn't work on an S4 (i was looking for a cheap way to get 500 extra RPM's).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts