Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A common issue is removing the DB killers (baffles) from Termignoni exhausts. I recently bought titanium Termignonis for my 2013 M796, and could not get the DB killers out no matter hard hard I pulled. Then, I got clever. I hope this helps others...

1. First, there are NO welds holding in the DB killers. They are secured with a single hex head screw at the bottom of the exhaust end. So, first, remove this screw.
2. Just because you've removed the screw, don't expect the baffle to pull right out! They are very tight, and metal against metal. You need to be clever...
3. Clever: for under $5 at your local hardware store you can make a baffle puller, as I did. (See attached pic.) The idea is to hook the vertical bar that is inside the Termignoni DB killer, then tap the wood block with a hammer. The baffle will come right out with a few taps.

Here are the parts needed:
  • (1) 1/4-20 threaded rod, 12" or so in length
  • (1) 1/4-20 "J" hook
  • (1) 1/4-20 coupling nut (to couple the threaded rod and the J hook)
  • (1) scrap piece of 2x4 wood block approx. 12" in length
  • (2) large 1/4-20 hole fender washers (to keep the wood from cracking) - place 1 washer on each side of the wood
  • (2) 1/4-20 hex nuts - to tighten the assembly around the wood block
Drill the wood block in the center, insert the threaded rod with a fender washer on each side of the block, tighten down the hex nuts on both sides of the block. You will likely also need to bend the J hook inward a bit in order to get it to fit inside the exhaust end to loop around the bar inside the baffle. Just use a hammer and smack it a few times on the garage floor and it will bend inward.

Place the J hook around the baffle bar, hold the wood block with one hand and gently tap on the center of the wood block (as close as possible to the center, given the rod location) with a heavy hammer. The heavier the hammer, the better, as the weight will require less effort on your part. A few taps and the baffle will come out cleanly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a good solution - An alternative for those of us without space to store stuff is by borrowing the pulley puller kit from your local auto parts store. I used the one that had the sliding hammer type bar, stuck it down through the baffle, felt it grab on the bottom of the baffle, and gave it a good tug. Popped those little bastards right out.

I found that once they come out the first time, they are much easier to remove the subsequent times.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts