Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that before. That's amazing. I wonder how long the pit stop was to change his leathers...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tank "flapper"? i'd only heard it called a tank _slapper_. but an awesome save nonetheless!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
awesome...just awesome

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That guy is my hero. I wonder: Was it instinct that saved him or did he think about it?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
come to think of it, i wonder if he went into the pits at the end of that lap to change his leathers?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
That guy is my hero. I wonder: Was it instinct that saved him or did he think about it?
I dont think it was instinct and I dont think he was thinkin about it...

i think it was like weeble wobbles , you push them over and they stand back up ;D

but seriously...ya gots to give it to the guy....that was 99% experience and 1% luck!

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a different technique of recovering from a tanl slapper. I usually spend a week in the ICU, a few operations and months of physical theropy. I find it works well.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Okay, time for a dumb question....

Since a tank slapper is an oscillation of the front wheel and practically impossible to control to stop the wheel movement, theoretically wouldn't a wheelie stop it? I mean once the wheel is no long in contact with the ground, wouldn't the oscillations stop? After all, you're going to crash anyway, so what do you have to lose? ;)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: Okay, time for a dumb question....

Since a tank slapper is an oscillation of the front wheel and practically impossible to control to stop the wheel movement, theoretically wouldn't a wheelie stop it? I mean once the wheel is no long in contact with the ground, wouldn't the oscillations stop? After all, you're going to crash anyway, so what do you have to lose? ;)
most folks (including me) would be too busy panicking

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: Okay, time for a dumb question....

With the handlebars swinging back and forth so quickly, it's almost impossible to crank on more throttle. Plus they don't happen at 20 mph where you would have enough power to wheelie, it's more like 40 mph and up. So yes I think a wheelie could save it, but no I don't think a normal rider could get it to wheelie when needed.

It did work once for me on a dirt bike, though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wouldn't a generous application of the rear brake be the best thing to come out of a tank slapper?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The rule of thumb with a tank slapper is to throttle thru/out of it. Once the front wheel leaves the ground, it stops.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Remember to pump the front brakes a few times after a tank slapper. The brake pads will have retracted in the calipers and it will require two or three pulls on the lever to seat them against the discs again.

Ask me how I know... :eek:

-R.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Remember to pump the front brakes a few times after a tank slapper.
After my last tank slapper, there was no front brake lever to pump. :'(

·
Registered
132 Posts
relax your arms, the natural reaction is to hold on to the bars tightly making it worse. If you have big ones, wheelie out of it. Yes that will work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts