Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pre-owned 696 from a private party. He took off the small stock windscreen that comes with the bike. I want to put it back on. He kept all the parts which include the windscreen, two brackets and what appear to be two round washers. Do instructions exist somewhere for how to put this back on? I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It should be pretty straight forward, take off the black plastic cover first. Install the two metal brackets. Then install the windscreen to the bracket (4 screws) Note the screws for the black plastic cover do not get used when putting on the stock windscreen. completely different screws... don't ask me why Ducati decided to do this. When I took off my windscreen I didn't have the correct screws to install the small black plastic cover, I had to go to the dealer and ask them for them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I finally got around to re-installing the windscreen today. I'm sure for most this is fairly straightforward but if it helps anyone else I took a few pictures.

I also have a question. There appears to be a small gap between the bottom of the back of the instrument panel and the top of the windscreen plate. Is this normal? See the below picture:

I found a stock photo from Ducati's website and it appears that same gap exists but it's hard to tell so I wanted to see if everyone else's looks the same:

Here are the photos of the re-installation. I'm assuming I did this correctly:

Finally, as expected I'm left with the original instrument panel back plate and the two screws that were holding it on. The only thing I'm unsure about (besides the small gap mentioned above) is what to do with the two washers you see in the below picture. They were in the same bag as the windscreen and brackets that was given to me by the previous owner. Are these plastic washers for something else or should I have used them in the install somewhere? I didn't see a place for them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you take off the seat cowl, you use those washers when you reinstall the seat bolts on the sides.

·
Registered
221 Posts
IF I remember correctly. I had the nuts on the inside, bolts on the outside. nuts kind of sit inside the frame for easy bolting up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF I remember correctly. I had the nuts on the inside, bolts on the outside. nuts kind of sit inside the frame for easy bolting up.
Yes, you're probably right, the nuts would sit on the inside nicely. I just found it hard to work the allen wrench to tighten and swapping them around let me just hold the screw with the allen and tighten with a socket wrench. But you're right, I have the screws backwards. It seems to be snug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ducati Monster 696 Windscreen

I have got a Puig windscreen that provides more wind resistance than the stock. When I finished installing it, I noticed the same gap you are talking about and I can't remember whether the gap was there previously! Have you found out if this is normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have got a Puig windscreen that provides more wind resistance than the stock. When I finished installing it, I noticed the same gap you are talking about and I can't remember whether the gap was there previously! Have you found out if this is normal?

Thanks.
Nice necro-bump Jak, this thread is from 2010 ! :grin

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, the gap is normal, don't worry, same thing on my 796 and on my buddy's 696 so...

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts