Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The picture of the featured bike this month got me thinking...

I'm wondering what kind of a process it is to paint a monster frame. I'm assuming the frame must be completely removed from the bike, which means the bike would need to be completely disassembled, right?

Is this something that is largely done while the bike is apart for other reasons (has been crashed and is being put back together)? Or is this a mod that can be reasonably undertaken solely on its own?

Can anybody estimate the difficulty of this mod?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Re: How to paint a frame

I did it to my 750SS but I wouldnt paint it, powder coating is the way to go. Talk to different people as far as prices go some will do it pretty cheap. I got the intakes, frame, swingarm, fairing stay and some small items. Basically the guy threw my stuff in with other items and did everything under the table. Cause when i asked him how much "If your paying by cash $250 or check its $300. Cash was the way to go.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

The hard part is taking everything off the frame, and successfully putting it back together.

I have a powder-coater here in Fresno that is probably even cheaper than that. Nunez had his engine cases, swingarm and a couple small parts coated for under $100.

Im going to meet with them and see if I can hook up a special DML pricelist of powdercoating jobs you can ship to them and they'll ship back coated.

·
Registered
584 Posts

I did it this past summer when it was too hot to ride anyway. Extremely fun project; much more fun if you're not on a deadline.

It's definitely doable with appropriate tools and a manual. I think the hardest part for me was re-running the the wiring harness.

Oh, definitely powdercoat. I had my frame and wheels done for $150 (I had already sandblasted and prepped, though).
Dion

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok, powdercoating sounds lik the way to go- I actually prefer the look of powdercoating over painting, but I always assumed it cost more, for some reason.

MonsterHooligan- definitely talk to your guy about setting up a deal for DML members. I think there are a lot of people here who would be interested. Thanks!

Also, can anybody give me an estimate of how long it takes and what level of skill is required to remove everything from the fame and then put it all back together once the frame is powdercoated?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I probably worked on mine in my garage over the course of about six weeks. Of course, I was taking my time, learning as I went and I wasn't in a hurry. I also painted/repaired my tank and bodywork and also painted the motor.

I'd say you need a reasonable level of skill/comfort with mechanics and a decent set of tools. A Haynes manual is a must.

You could probably turn it around in a week or 10 days if you really invested a bit of time in it. Regardless, I highly recommend it as you'll learn alot about your bike and the way the systems work.
Dion

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

MonsterHooligan- definitely talk to your guy about setting up a deal for DML members. I think there are a lot of people here who would be interested. Thanks!
Consider yourself hooked up. [smiley=waytogo.gif]
They can take parts in/out by UPS, $35 minimum order (thats really low), they will make a pricelist and setup standard colors, oh, and we get 10% off their regular prices.

They are going to use my bike as the guinnea pig to figure out what to charge for each part (frame, wheels, cases, swingarm, etc...) I will start taking it apart soon.
I've been putting off my 'winter' projects because its still mid-50's and sunny out.
I'll keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

Any other advice for a beginner about to undertake a frame removal?
<shrug> I'm in the same boat as you.
I'm gonna take lots of pictures, and then be prepared to bribe my mechanical friends with enormous quantities of beer to help me when I get stuck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I suppose that's how we'll learn- by making mistakes and figuring it out, right? And relying on our buddies to make sure we don't seriously mess it up...

I just can't pick a time to start the process. "Okay, for the next ?? weeks, I will not be able to ride my motorcycle..." It's kinda scary. But, I suppose winter is as good a time as any.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I just can't pick a time to start the process. "Okay, for the next ?? weeks, I will not be able to ride my motorcycle..." It's kinda scary. But, I suppose winter is as good a time as any.
I keep waiting for winter...its 52degrees and sunny today

·
Registered
584 Posts
I "built" an engine stand out of a car floor jack and a couple 2-by-4s. Seriously. Just have a friend steady the motor while you pull the frame off. Then pick up the motor and set it on the garage floor. Simple.
Dion

·
Registered
294 Posts
The guy that did mine is located outside of Fredrick, Maryland. I can find the number and address if anyone wants it.

G

·
Strati, is there somebody in our area that does powder coating? Now that winter is in full swing here (N. East) I would have all the time I need to pull the bike apart....
Still cant get over those pipes by the way! Glad I went with the shorties. Thanks again.

G

·
i've no personal experience with them, but the guys at www.firecote.com seem to be pretty well outfitted, and there's a decent pricelist of motorelated goodies which suggests they're experienced with the type of items we'd be interested in getting done! they're in CT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts