Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Embarrassing question to ask, but not as painful as dropping my bike:

I have a Ducati rear maintenence stand whose rubber arms nest nicely underneath both swingarms when my m900 is upright, allowing me to work on the bike, etc.

Trouble is, I haven't felt daring enough to experiment with how to get the bike onto the stand all by myself... You see, when resting on its sidestand, the bike doesn't really fit onto the workstand... it must already be vertical in order to fit. Until now, I have just been having somebody hold my bike up for me while I lever the rear wheel up with the work stand. This is obviously a pain when nobody is around but I want to change my oil or something.

So... any suggestions? And please keep the mockery to a minimum :-X

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You just have to balance the bike with one hand while moving the stand into position with the other. Once you do it a few times you'll get the hang of it. Just try it a few times with someone else there, just in case.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it doesn't really need to be vertical Ryan....I stand at the rear facing the bike on kick stand side, kickstand down.....left hand on right side grab rail...right hand on stand push arm.....I start to push the stand down while bike is still on the kickstand...as it starts to lift the bike vertical I just watch the swingarm to make sure the stand stays aligned with the swingarm, if it doesn't, I just slowly ease it down back on to the kickstand and line it up again.
A little easier with spools..once the bike nears vertical it becomse light enough to balance with the grab rail, just keep the balance favoring the kickstand side. That's pretty much it....you could get a wheel chock to roll the bike into which would hold it upright to make it easier. But once you do it a few times it becomes relatively easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My trick is to get the bike close to vertical first by putting a wooden block under the kickstand. A short length of 2x4 works great. Then all it takes is a light hand on the saddle to keep things stable until the rear stand has taken all the weight. Lowering is easy too, provided the block is in the same position on the floor as it was when you lifted up. (The bike moves forward significantly as it descends, so placing the block under the kickstand involves some guesswork if it's been moved in the meantime.)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
That's a good idea Paul, I always do the one in each hand method to put it up, but I have someone help me take it down. Makes me feel safer that way.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
The only thing I do different is that I stand on the right side of the rear and hold the Pit Bull stand in my left hand while I pull the bike to vertical with my right hand on the grab rail. That way the bike can't fall to the left because of the side stand and can't fall to the right because I can block it with my hip and leg if I over balance it to the right while coming to vertical.

Probably doesn't matter that I'm left handed ;)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Taking it down. Easyyyyy. I wear boots or shoes since I usually take it down to go ride. Anyway, put your right boot against the rearstand wheel, grab the handlebars normally and roll the bike forward off the rearstand. The rearstand will rotate up and fall off the bike since your foot is against the rearstand wheel.
I didn't know you could roll the bike off, I take it down the same way I put it up - I'll have to check out your rolling method - thanks

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I didn't know you could roll the bike off, I take it down the same way I put it up - I'll have to check out your rolling method - thanks
I would be concerned about the stand handle flipping up quickly and smashing something like the tail light or license plate. I keep one hand on the handle and the other on the bike urging it to the left so that it goes onto the sidestand.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got a pitbull myself (stand not dog). I found the "easy" way to get the bike on the stand is to stand on the side stand side and by the seat.

Place the rear stand right behind the bike.

Tip the bike upright and grab ahold of the seat rail with your left hand, now this assumes your right handed, and scoot a little towards the end of the bike. Let the bike lean just a little into you. If its going to fall its going to fall into you and with the side stand down you can ease it onto the stand and safely get out of the way.

Now holding the bike in place slip the stand in place with your right hand and apply a little pressure to the handle.

You should feel the bike become quite stable and as you apply pressure it will just stand right up.

Lowering it is basically the opposite.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Put a block or two under the sidestand. It'll make the bike nearly vertical. Then come in with the stand.
Just my $0.02 but it does work.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
So put the bike on a stand and then put the bike on a stand?.
Yeah, you know, put it on a stand, then put it on another stand. Come on Scott. It's a piece of cake lol - [smiley=laugh.gif]

·
Registered
600 Posts
It sure seems difficult and acrobatic, but you WILL get used to it.

I still need to be careful and make sure everything (the bike, the stand, myself) is always in balance. I've done it many times, but never dropped it. Thank God.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Okay, so I'm just a sweet little girl

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'd be more concerned with your method that I don't have both hands on a 400 lb bike when it is coming off a rearstand.
You don't have to balance the bike, you just have to get it to fall to the left when it comes off.

I guess one of the reasons I don't generally roll the bike forward off of the stand is that I usually use it in my garage and there is usually no more space to roll it forward.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did it on the first try with nary a wobble.

I think I was overestimating the bike's tendancy to tip. It doen'st require much effort at all to hold it up or even to tilt it one way or the other - no fear of dropping now (I hope I didn't just jinx it).

Now I just need a nice lift like they have at the shop... I hate kneeling in the garage!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts