Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking at a used 2009 696. The owner has only one key and the code card. Is that enough to get a new key made from the dealer? Any one knows how much it will cost? Also can I program it myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
$75 sounds reasonable when you consider they could be asking $150 and you'd still have very limited options to get one elsewhere.

But my first question would be which key do you have? Is it Red or Black? And what happened to the other two keys? This problem seems to be endemic. Do people throw them away?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$75 sounds reasonable when you consider they could be asking $150 and you'd still have very limited options to get one elsewhere.

But my first question would be which key do you have? Is it Red or Black? And what happened to the other two keys? This problem seems to be endemic. Do people throw them away?
Newer Ducati's come with 2 black keys and a code card only. No red key. The other key is lost by previous owner. As long as I get a black key laser-cut I can program it myself w/ the code card.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Newer Ducati's come with 2 black keys and a code card only. No red key. The other key is lost by previous owner. As long as I get a black key laser-cut I can program it myself w/ the code card.
Thanks. Didn't know that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Sir!

I also bought the Ducat 696 but owner gave me only one key with the card.

Where can i buy the key? and how can i cut? and how can i program?

Could youu kindly teach me please?

Thank you have a great day!

Cha Youn

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I just picked up my new Monster yesterday. The dealer told me that if I lost one key, to come back and they could sell me a blank key. I'd then have to go to a locksmith and have the key cut to match the physical characteristics of the key I still had. Then to bring both keys and the bike back to the shop for programming. They did not give a price on a blank key, but said it shouldn't be more than $15 to $20. Please note, I've not gone through this, it's just information that was given to me by my dealer. Also, I believe the owners manual had information on programming keys.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I had a smiliar issue, except I was the one that lost the key :mad:

Anyway, took my second key to the dealer with the key code and they were able to make me another key, cost was $100 bucks. They did have to order one of the keys which was $35 and then to set it up was $65.

They're strickly a Ducati dealer, but I'm not sure why they'd give you a key, make you take it somewhere else and then bring it back so they could set it up. They "should" be able to do it all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lost all keys!

i have a 696 that i bought used and it came with 2 black keys and the code card....unfortunately i have lost both black keys now and I have no idea what to do....the dealership said it will cost me 3300 for them to fix it...i have been searching posts but still haven't found a solution...please help me!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
What that's rediculous! As long as you have the key card they should be able to make you a new key for about 75 to 100 bucks. The code card is all they should need.

On a side note, at 75 bucks per key you should probably stop losing them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i hope to god thats the truth...they told me over the phone the card is just the immobilizer and that i need a seperate code that only comes iwth teh bikes original paper work....is is this total bs? also how can they cut me a new key if i dont have any of the originals?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
There was a small silver tag that came with your keys which is what they are likely referring to and what I had to give them.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Not sure because of other posts, I only know I was told without the tag, it would cost a lot as the bike would need to be programmed or parts replaced to match. If I'm wrong, please post because I'm sure others would want to know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey you dont have to take it back to ducati if you dont have any keys for a 696 if you have the ducati code card there are two numbers on card so first buy new blank keys then go to a lock smith and give him the mechanical code with this he can cut the key .. next go to bike and put key in ign then Loss of both keys
After purchasing two new keys, perform the Reprogramming procedure (by entering the code shown on the CODE CARD) with the new keys.the electronic ,,, Service Menu
The instrument panel has a service menu, which must be used only by the dealer if necessary.
To enter the service menu, hold the switch (1) in position A “s” while simultaneously turning the key switch from Off to On.
Reprogramming the immobilizer
This function is for reprogramming the immobilizer system in the event of loss or damage to one or both of the keys.
To display this function, go into the service menu and select the page “0000 COD”.
On entering this page, the initial code is always displayed as “00000”. If you press the switch (1) in position B “t” for 3 seconds, you will access the procedure for entering the electronic code given on the Code Card.
Entering the code:
the first digit on the left flashes;
each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the second digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
If you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the third digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the fourth digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
if you press the switch in position A “s”, you can set the fifth digit, which will start flashing. Each time you press the switch in position B “t”, the number increases cyclically in steps of one digit every second;
press in position A “s” to confirm the code.
At this point, if the code was entered incorrectly, the display will show the initial code “00000”. There is no limit to the number of times the code may be entered incorrectly.
If the code has been entered correctly, the “COD” and the code entered will flash simultaneously; at this point, it is necessary to turn the key switch to Off.
From this moment on, the immobilizer system is waiting to be reprogrammed with the new key (or keys); at the next Key-On, reprogramme the keys using the procedure described in “Programming the Immobilizer”.

Notes
At this stage, the immobilizer system will immobilize the engine until the keys have been reprogrammed. if you not sure just take this info to ducati and let them do if you dont have the key card then good luck

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I knew it had to be reprogrammed and thanks to this guy's post, you can do it on your own! I'd say you owe hmm a cold one! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are awesome!

TANGO MAN!!!!!

Thank you sooo much...I haven't been able to ride my ducati for a while because i had the hardest time ever getting new keys...thanks to you I never even went to my dealer who turned out to be useless...I ordered the keys to be cut by code online (since i had the code card)...then i reprogrammed them myself based on your instructions!!! Now I'm riding again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2010 M696 has a code card and a single key. I went through the utube videos, bought a key and chip and started programming a new key but the bike was repeatedly asking for key1 and key 2 and again key 1 key 2 finally program went off. I inserted my good key ? immo error! My single is not working now. just followed your code procedure everything went fine, the COD flashes I turned of the key and started reprogramming. The bike asked for key1, I inserted the key. Now key 2, I inserted another. Again asked for key 1 ???? No program OK. Finally i let it go to program off. Need help, my single key is not working and the new key is now working too. How can i make a key with code only which will reprogram my immo system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts