Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the blue frame and wheels of the April Monster. Can anyone tell me how it's done an about how much it costs?

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Re: "How to" get a frame like the April

Simple answer: disassemble the entire bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3

no really... that's about it!
not terribly difficult. just time consuming. if you want to do it, do yourself a favor and get the ducati service manual for your bike. it'll include helpful wire-routing paths for how to route stuff when you put the bike back together. aside from that, make sure you have a work area to dissassemble the bike that will be UNDISTURBED while the project is underway. label EVERYTHING so you don't end up with a bunch of important looking parts when you're "done". ciao!

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

The engine sat on the garage floor for quite some time. Expect to pay about $500-700 for frame and wheels, That blue is a candy and more than some non candy colors. Putting it together without scratching frame takes a lot of patience and shop rags. You also have to dremel spots where paint thickness prevents a good fit. I broke a footpeg hanger due to a tight fit (Tried to force it) and had to get another sent out for Pwdrcoat.
I did the ziplock bag deal and locked the wife out of the garage. I have to also thank my friend James who kept kickin me in the but when progress dragged. He also has the Ben Bostrom 998S that I stopped by a lot for checkin out the details.

·
Registered
366 Posts

I'm under the impression that powdercoating adds a fair bit more weight than painting. True or not? If true, one wouldn't want to powdercoat wheels at least. :-/

Take the frame and wheels to a painter/powdercoater.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

powdercoating is heavier. the difference on your wheel would be so small that a light weight valve cap would more than make up for it.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Does anybody sell a Ducati workshop manual that covers the '03s?
The Multistrada group are all crazy about the high quality of their manual, so I know Ducati can make a good one. Where is it?

·
Registered
366 Posts

Interesting. I have been told by a shop (non Ducati) that powdercoating added "significant" weight to a wheel. I took that to mean a half pound or so, which might make some difference.

powdercoating is heavier.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

Interesting. I have been told by a shop (non Ducati) that powdercoating added "significant" weight to a wheel. I took that to mean a half pound or so, which might make some difference.
1/2 pound is considerable. my guess is they are wrong, but i don't teally know. any powdercoat experts out there?

G

·
Discussion Starter #10

i think 1/2 lb is a HIGH estimate. it would take a LOT of powder to add up to 1/2 lb. while i don't do it anymore, i used to powdercoat so i'm pretty familiar with how much a cannister of powder weighs and how much powder it takes to coat a part (including rims). my "guestimate" would be 2-3 oz for a front rim, 3-4 oz for a rear rim. not negligable, but not 1/2 lb. i've never sprayed automotive/body paint but i'd be interested to know how much a wheel's worth of primer & paint would add up to.

fwiw, marvic ships their magnesium rims powdercoated from the factory. purpose of mag rims is to save weight, right?

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts

your shop is dumb. [smiley=cheeky.gif]

It's a negligable amount of weight.
if you are concerned about ounces...some tires are lighter than others.

I just had my frame coated....it cost $125 including cutting the grab-rails off and grinding smooth.
wheels cost about the same.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts

So how long did it take you to strip and rebuild the bike???
[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] Ha ha ha ha ha.... That would require him to use a tool... He gets some other sucker to do the real work...

Basically you can strip it down to the frame in an afternoon. I'd set aside a whole day to put it back together unless you're really familiar with the bike.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
287 Posts

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] Ha ha ha ha ha.... That would require him to use a tool... He gets some other sucker to do the real work...

Basically you can strip it down to the frame in an afternoon. I'd set aside a whole day to put it back together unless you're really familiar with the bike.

--Fillmore
So how much does it cost to have a sucker do the work?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts

He pays Nooner in beer... :eek: I'm going to try to stay in front of him when we ride together so the parts don't hit me when they fall off.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
204 Posts

I just had my frame, swingarm, engine and clutch cases, and a few other parts done in the exact color the fella with the April featured bike. I thought it was rather easy to disassemble and reassemble. It didn't take long at all, and I found it to be a good time to change fork oil and check the bearings in the front end as well as wheel bearings. Cost was $300, the set up fee was $150 and then the difference was in parts and labor. Make note that if you change colors, it might be another $150 or whatever the set up fee is. Be sure and check on that. Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Nay, Nay Chief ;). Not my shop, and I wasn't buying the answer because I know (like Strati said) that some mag wheels are powdercoated. That's why I asked. :)

your shop is dumb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts