Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the list I have put together to get a carbed Ducati to run smoother at low revs. In the rough order that I would do them.... some have a very small effect, some a larger effect.... some cheap or free, some crazy expensive.... :)
Any thoughts or additions?

Lower gearing.

Balance carbs.

Dynojet kit for standard carbs.

New chain & sprockets.

Light weight chain.

New clutch parts, basket, centre & friction plates.

"Quiet clutch mods" which stop the clutch pack from slamming back & forth.

FCR 39 carbs.

Ignitech ignition, or any good ignition with adjustable maps.

Ignition timing can be adjusted to give better low rev running.

New coils, leads, plug caps, & spark plugs.

Keep standard weight flywheel or increase weight.

Cam timing, adjustable cam drive gears to set perfectly in time with each other or advanced for low rev running.

Twin plug heads.

Engine balancing internally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your idea of low revs?
Good question.... I feel that anything below 3000 revs can be considered "low" on a carbed 900 Ducati..... I would like to have it fully usable down to 2000 rpm and to 1500 rpm with care and low load.....

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's a tall order. It's not a diesel. That's basically just high idle. Anything that would seriously improve that zone of the powerband would either eventually destroy the motor or at the very least, would turn it into something that couldn't even keep up with traffic. If you just want something less awkward and jerky at slow speeds and don't mind shaving a little off the top, than just going lower on the gearing is probably your best bet. As well as making sure the carbs are dialed in for better low end fuel delivery. And perhaps consider a different throttle setup. Something a lot slower. More towards the trials bike end of the spectrum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts