Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm embarrassed to post this. I've owned by bike for 3 years now and when I first got it I had never dealt with anything mechanical in my life. As a result, in my early days I did a real hack job on the axle nuts and scratched up the swingarm really badly. Picture below.

Auto part Metal Wood Hand tool Engineering

A total hackjob I'm ashamed of and I'd like to repent as best as possible by trying to at least touch it up.

Could anyone with more mechanical experience recommend some ways to touch this up? Should I sand it down and then paint over the area or something like that to prevent rust?

Also does anybody know where I can get a better axle securing plate? The damage is obviously the result of tightening the axle nut and having that thing spin around. I know in the LT Snyder book he mentions he used to sell replacement plates but it doesn't look like he does anymore.

Any advice on how to most professionally try to "fix" (that don't involve taking the entire swingarm off) would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem making that mess disappear. Sand the damaged areas until they're as smooth as possible. You can fill the gouges with JB Weld or similar epoxy filler and sand again until the swingarm looks good. Then spray with the appropriate paint to match the area. No big deal, this is all cosmetic and easily repaired. Can't help with replacing the plate but the tabs at the bottom should be enough to prevent it from rotating with the nut. Might need to extend those tabs by having someone weld on some small pieces to better grip the swingarm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn't have a problem making that mess disappear. Sand the damaged areas until they're as smooth as possible. You can fill the gouges with JB Weld or similar epoxy filler and sand again until the swingarm looks good. Then spray with the appropriate paint to match the area. No big deal, this is all cosmetic and easily repaired. Can't help with replacing the plate but the tabs at the bottom should be enough to prevent it from rotating with the nut. Might need to extend those tabs by having someone weld on some small pieces to better grip the swingarm.
Thanks! Could you give me any more detail on the sanding process / materials? Is there a specific sanding tool that might be useful to purchase and/or grit (or multiple grits) that might be useful for making it go smoothly?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd use a small smooth file to knock down any ridges, burrs, etc. Then I'd go with 100 grit sandpaper for the rough stuff, followed by successively smoother grits ending with probably 220. Clean with acetone and apply the JB Weld or similar epoxy filler. To sand, I'd use small wood blocks to allow access to the damaged areas. No need for power sanders unless you have a Dremel tool or similar small hobby tool. Probably overkill since you can achieve good results by hand, just takes longer. When you apply the epoxy filler, don't overdo it since it is hard to sand. Doesn't look like you need much though. A small plastic body filler squeegie will help fill the gouges and leave just a thin excess layer for sanding. Best of luck.

Eric

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm embarrassed to post this. I've owned by bike for 3 years now and when I first got it I had never dealt with anything mechanical in my life. As a result, in my early days I did a real hack job on the axle nuts and scratched up the swingarm really badly. Picture below.

View attachment 228669

A total hackjob I'm ashamed of and I'd like to repent as best as possible by trying to at least touch it up.

Could anyone with more mechanical experience recommend some ways to touch this up? Should I sand it down and then paint over the area or something like that to prevent rust?

Also does anybody know where I can get a better axle securing plate? The damage is obviously the result of tightening the axle nut and having that thing spin around. I know in the LT Snyder book he mentions he used to sell replacement plates but it doesn't look like he does anymore.

Any advice on how to most professionally try to "fix" (that don't involve taking the entire swingarm off) would be greatly appreciated.

Thx!

I have got the perfect guide for you. I'm going to share two videos from two different channels below. Donut Media or ChrisFix. These YouTube channels are some of my go-to's for doing any auto/moto work in my garage. The swingarm damage is similar to that of any curb rash someone might get on their wheels. So I think a solution to fixing swingarm damage would look a lot like curb rash repair. These two vids walk through that process - no one better than the other, just take notes, figure out your materials, give yourself enough time to do the job, and I hope you're encouraged to share photos of how you did! Here are those vids:
ChrisFix ->
Donut Media->

1 - 10 of 10 Posts