Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice today that my Winter gloves kinda stink. For that matter the inside of the 'ol brain bucket too. Unfortunately the liner does not come out. Who has a good method for cleaning gloves and helmet liners.

Who has screwed up trying so i know what NOT to do?

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the inside of my Helmet, I've just started using the Motorex Helmet Care Spray. I did a great job cleaning and deodorizing the liner.

·
Banned
551 Posts
I am basing this on my knowledge of cleaning, or trying to clean, snowboard / ski gloves.

Yeah - Fabreze will get rid of some stankieness - but won't clean the gloves.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Am looking for info on this as well, especially since I just bought a second helmet that doesn't have detachable lining. When I asked the store, they said any mild shampoo would do. First mix the shampoo in a bucket of water, then rub to clean the lining with your fingers while soaking the helmet repeatedly in the suds. My question on this is will soaking the entire helmet in a shampoo solution like this not damage the shell or composite layers of the helmet?

I also checked the manual (AGV), and the mfr. recommended cleaning the lining with any neutral soap, but did not say anything for or against soaking the whole helmet. Am not a chemist so my second question would be: does anybody know what a "neutral soap" is?  :-\

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
twisty-lover said:
My question on this is will soaking the entire helmet in a shampoo solution like this not damage the shell or composite layers of the helmet?

Am not a chemist so my second question would be: does anybody know what a "neutral soap" is?  :-\
I'm no chemist either, but...I wouldnt think soap would hurt the styrofoam, unless it has bleach or something very harsh in it. Usually 'neutral soap" is unscented, no moisturizers (sp) or anything frilly like that.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Neutral might refer to ph balance. You wouldn't want to harm the protective styrofoam with an acid or a base, no matter how mild.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ok, think I have a better idea what a neutral soap is...thanks!

Will try drowning my helmet in Johnsons Baby Shampoo soon enough [laugh]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
twisty-lover said:
Ok, think I have a better idea what a neutral soap is...thanks!

Will try drowning my helmet in Johnsons Baby Shampoo soon enough   [laugh]
How'd that work? How long did it take to dry?

Dave

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
BPR said:
For the inside of my Helmet, I've just started using the Motorex Helmet Care Spray.  I did a great job cleaning and deodorizing the liner.
+1 on Motorex stuff. Their leather cleaner works really well too. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
23 Posts
DuckyDan said:
I notice today that my Winter gloves kinda stink.  For that matter the inside of the 'ol brain bucket too.  Unfortunately the liner does not come out.  Who has a good method for cleaning gloves and helmet liners.  
For soap, you can use some shampoo. It will cut the residue of sweat and stank on your helmet left by your hair. Will also leave a nice smell. You can also use some liquid laundry detergent ie Tide etc.  Dishwasher soap will work too but will leave a dishwasher smell.

You want to use a semi stiff brush ie vegetable scrubbing brush or a facecloth.

Best is to put helmet upside down in a sink with a towel or something similar under it to protect it.

Mix some water and soap in a large bowl. Wet the interior of the helment and scrub. Squeeze the cheekpads with your fingers, working the suds in.  Spend some time at it to do a good job. When your done you can rinse under running water. What works well is rinsing under the shower head.

Squeeze out excess water from cheak pads etc .

Place somewhere out of direct heat to dry. If you want, you can lay it on its side and point a fan to it.

note: excess heat is no good for the safety liner.

Should take 2 days or so to fully dry. You'll have a clean smelling helmet.

Febreeze tends to smell strong and you're never really left with a clean helmet.

You should have no trouble with any of this.    [thumbsup]

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/liner.htm
:

·
Registered
277 Posts
pompetta said:
How'd that work?  How long did it take to dry?

Dave
It worked ok, and took almost 3 days to dry the last time, as I let it dry in the shade or indoors, and not directly under the sun. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
My idiot friend Sean (I have a bunch of stories that start this way), gets in the shower with his Shoei, applies baby shampoo to his head, gets the interior of his helmet wet, puts his helmet on, and twists it back and forth and up and down, providing scrubbing action with his own head. Then he rinses the helmet off and lets it sit until it dries. He swears it works. Sadly, I'm inclined to believe him.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
If I didn't have a removable liner that would be the method of choice I think! I might just try it for fun!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
SoCalMonster said:
My idiot friend Sean (I have a bunch of stories that start this way), gets in the shower with his Shoei, applies baby shampoo to his head, gets the interior of his helmet wet, puts his helmet on, and twists it back and forth and up and down, providing scrubbing action with his own head.  Then he rinses the helmet off and lets it sit until it dries. He swears it works. Sadly, I'm inclined to believe him.

Thats great, im going to have to try that, seaming as how im so lazy and all...

·
Registered
333 Posts
SoCalMonster said:
My idiot friend Sean (I have a bunch of stories that start this way), gets in the shower with his Shoei, applies baby shampoo to his head, gets the interior of his helmet wet, puts his helmet on, and twists it back and forth and up and down, providing scrubbing action with his own head.  Then he rinses the helmet off and lets it sit until it dries. He swears it works. Sadly, I'm inclined to believe him.
hmmmm...naked guy in shower wearing mc helmet!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Mme gunna try that shower thingy (fat 40 something with helmet ugh!) has that changed your thoughts now S4gurl?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts