Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a 2014 696 ABS. I'm enjoying my bike as my daily commuter but I'm wondering is there anything I can do to make my visit to the pump less frequent? Has anyone done anything that improves fuel economy or should I ride it a certain way? The bike seems happy around 4k-6k rpm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think I get around 45 MPG on my 796... I don't know how I could really ask for more. The best fuel saving improvement you can get would be a judicious throttle hand... but what fun is that? Of course, my pickup truck has a V-10... and gets around 9-10 MPG in the city... so anything is an improvement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 696 and get around 50 mpg on a regular basis but I have seen as low as 30mpg as well. How you drive it has a big effect on milage. Easy on ands easy off the gas.... you know the speech. I do find the 14 tooth front sprocket helps in town drivability, which has to help with milage a bit i would think. It might hurt highway milage a bit but I've never really noticed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've been getting around 40 mpg lately, but eh, Chicago traffic and I feel like I lost a few mpg when I got a Rexxer tune.

·
Registered
198 Posts
...and I feel like I lost a few mpg when I got a Rexxer tune.
Indeed. Any modification to the stock ECU map will certainly provide more fuel to the motor. Most modifications to the stock bike would be 'performance' mods... better performance is nice, but it usually comes at a cost: higher fuel consumption, although on something like a 696 I would think it would be minimal, say 10%

·
Registered
230 Posts
That sounds about right. I went from ~46 mpg to ~40 mpg, but some of that is attributable to the reflash coinciding with finishing the break-in period and me opening up the throttle more.

I only gained 2 peak hp, but the increase in low-speed rideability and reduced clutch actuation in heavy traffic has made the fuel economy hit worth it to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
What I would give to see any of these mileages from my Ducati's.

Reactions: Charlie98

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
I average 30 but I do flog them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is not easy to compare and draw conclusions. Someone who commutes 2 miles to work, is completely different from someone who commutes 100 miles to work.

The commute is a daily activity that risks life and limb. I do not think your mentality is proper and safe, if gas consumption registers in your mind whatsoever. Gas is cheap and expendable, but you are not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is not easy to compare and draw conclusions. Someone who commutes 2 miles to work, is completely different from someone who commutes 100 miles to work.

The commute is a daily activity that risks life and limb. I do not think your mentality is proper and safe, if gas consumption registers in your mind whatsoever. Gas is cheap and expendable, but you are not.
No offense, but those two items are mutually exclusive. Making your bike more efficient (or run better, or faster, or whatever) has nothing to do with rider safety, and vice versa. You could make the case (maybe you are...) about driving like Lester Milquetoast to maximize gas mileage... and wind up being a rolling roadblock and a hazard to other drivers. I do agree with you, however... gas is gas, just pay the money and enjoy the ride. If a 20% difference in gas mileage is breaking the bank or causing undue financial fretting... you probably shouldn't be on a Ducati in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
3,920 Posts
Gas mileage on a bike, especially a commuter bike, isn't about the cost so much as the range. My M900 gets about 50 mpg, with about a 4-gallon working tank volume (leaving about 1/2 a gallon reserve), which gives me about 200 miles of range. My commute varies from year to year and job to job, as I'm a contracting engineer, but the less often I have to go buy gas, the better. I had a couple years with a 51-mile each way commute, and the 200-mile range meant gassing up every other day. Now I've got a 17-mile each way, which means gassing up (for work) less than once a week, which is nice. I testrode an MV Agusta Brutale 1090 once, and really liked it for riding, but 25 mpg would be a giant PITA for the commute, and that's why I wouldn't buy that bike.

PhilB

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gas mileage on a bike, especially a commuter bike, isn't about the cost so much as the range. My M900 gets about 50 mpg, with about a 4-gallon working tank volume (leaving about 1/2 a gallon reserve), which gives me about 200 miles of range. My commute varies from year to year and job to job, as I'm a contracting engineer, but the less often I have to go buy gas, the better. I had a couple years with a 51-mile each way commute, and the 200-mile range meant gassing up every other day. Now I've got a 17-mile each way, which means gassing up (for work) less than once a week, which is nice. I testrode an MV Agusta Brutale 1090 once, and really liked it for riding, but 25 mpg would be a giant PITA for the commute, and that's why I wouldn't buy that bike.

PhilB
This.

I get about 40 mpg riding through Chicago on my 15 mile one-way commute (provided traffic doesn't cause me to take detours, which it often does). With my 696 ABS model's 3.4 gallon tank, that's only about 2.7 gallons before the reserve light comes on at 100 miles, so I only get in around 3 trips to and from work before filling up. If I got 50 mpg, I could squeeze in a 4th trip and not be running on fumes by the time I got home.

Reactions: philb

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an issue where I was getting 30 mpg and no tech could find out why. Fuel injector plugging is a big contributor to low mileage. In the US, fuel quality is ****, it is full of sediment that will plug up fuel injectors. Running fuel injector cleaner in a motorcycle is very controversial subject. But for me, after running a course of Techron additive (not just the gas-with-additive, but the actual little bottle of polyetheramine solvent), my bike ran normally getting about 50 mpg. Don't add the whole bottle, add it in thirds and run three tanks if you're seeing mileage drop. My tech also recommended adding a capfull of Techron with every fill up. I suppose you could use seafoam or valvolean, they're all the same **** essentially.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I get 52-55mpg. I use 93 octane with 10% ethanol (all we have here). That's mostly highway driving at 70mph.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also think that the amount of miles you have on your bike makes a difference. My bike got better fuel economy after 10k miles than at the beginning. If you think it is bad with the 696 ABS, it is worse with the 1100 and the previous water cooled versions

·
Registered
945 Posts
Keep the bike in good tune. Valve adjustments when needed.
Run injection cleaner periodically. Synchronize injection
Keep your air filter clean
Keep your chain lubed and adjusted
Make sure your brakes aren’t dragging
Keep your tire pressure correct
Lose weight
Don’t twist the throttle too hard

1 - 20 of 20 Posts