Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it all. I'm just curious! ;D

I know everybody will say get the M800 but i was just wondering what types of mods you can do to get a few more horses out of a m620 (which mods give you the most bang for your buck!). is it possible to get 70hp out of the m620?

a souped up m620 would be a great insurance beater.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There was a post in the tech section regarding HP for 620's, I wasn't able to find it though. I want to say people were pushing out around 65 (avg). That's with exhaust, air filter, jet kits, etc...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Chris- HP doesn't do it all as you know. How many ft/lbs. do you think are possible?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
the actual number of ft-lb won't really matter, as on a 2V ducati, it will always be satisfying! but i'd think 55 or so. basically, you can "superbike prep" a 620 or 750 to become on par with a nearly standard 900.

cheaper to just get a 900 and bolt it in. historically, ducatis have been quite "hot rod chevy-ish" in that you didn't have to pay too much attention to details when swapping engines around. take an injected 620 (isn't it in a ST chassis?) and then want to do a swap? you *may* want to get an 800 or 1000DS instead of a 900ie donor. by getting a donor from the same class of bike design, you minimize the chance of a "gotchya".

THEN when you get bored, you "superbike prep" the 900/800/1000DS.

now, i put "superbike prep" in quotes... this is more of a racing term and not to confuse anything with the "ducati superbike" engine which has 4 valves and liquid cooling. in superbike racing classes, "superbike prep" implies an arms race type of extreme expenditure, where every last horsepower is worth every last dollar of debt you can extract from your credit cards. this is normally not practical for the street.

:) chris

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whatever money you save on insurance, you'd easily spend getting the HP. The 800 would be a better way to go.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Good job Chris- thanks, I was just curious. Don't really think I would go all that far, just thinking about things. It will be a while before I outgrow the monster I have, then it will the next generation S4RRR, or what ever they will call it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D

Wow! thanks for all of great info on the 620 upgrades guys!

i would definetly like to get high pipes (for the ground clearance and looks) when i do get a 620. from speeddog's link it appears that slip on muffler's alone don't buy you more than 1-2hp above 6k rpm. i would imagine that aftermarket high pipes would give similar results. it seems like a mighty expensive way to get just a few extra horses. I do remember reading that the bigger bikes see a bigger benifit from new pipes although i don't remember how much of a hp increase that they got. please correct me if i am mistaken!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts