Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, gotta question. I have found myself paranoid of my bike parked in the rain. I rode to work today and parked in the back. Couple hours later it is DUMPING rain. I left my cover at home because it's so bulky to carry. My question is, how concerned should I be? My bike (unfortunately) stays outdoors. I put a cover on everynight but still get rust on my chain. I'm a newby and just discovered that I should be lubing the chain every few hundred miles ( which I am now). Are rain sessions like this likely to damage a bike? Thanks for any and all input. I can't say enough about how helpful this webpage has been for me.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
It shouldn't be a major problem. The two things I would worry about most for the long term effects would be moisture causing corrosion in electrical connections and possibly increasing the the chance for screws and bolts to corrode in their holes.

Preventive steps are easy. Buy a tube of dialectric grease from an electronics supply house and lightly coat every connector you can find. Clean any connectors that aren't. Also pick up some anti-seize compound and go around the bike removing each screw or bolt that isn't loctited at the factory. Clean the threads with a wire brush if there is any white powdery looking oxide starting. Reassemble with a small amount of antiseize and torque to spec. I did this after finding a couple of fasteners on the footpeg brackets on my 95 that wouldn't break loose even with a 3/8" impact wrench. I don't want to have to disassemble something a couple of years down the road only to find the fastener is now one with the hole it is screwed into. Brake disc bolts should be loctited, so pass them by for this drill. And you don't have to do it all at once. If you plan to remove something in the near future, do the fasteners then.

The only short term effects I've had are hard starting after trailering long distances in rainstorms where lots of water gets blown all through the bike. If you can keep a cover at work, it will probably help, though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't know if rain would be a problem, but I suspect that your guages would be prone to leaking if left out in the rain too much, I got some moisture in my guages just from washing it, and I was trying to be careful, so maybe a plastic sack to cover the guages if it looks like rain.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very helpflull info and tips guys. Thanks. As far as corrosion... These engines are built with the elements in mind aren't they? I can't imagine them being that fragile that rain would make them rust. Also, I called the shop and asked about the rust on the chain. They said it always happens when you're bike is outdoors. I'm using Maxima chain wax now. They reccomended some WD40 to help with the rust and then "some chain lube".

·
Registered
236 Posts
Having owned boats that are used in the ocean, I have a bit of experience with corrosion. One product that I have found to be very effective in preventing corrosion on fasteners and electrical connections is "Boeshield T-9". It was developed by the folks at Boeing and it comes in spray can. It's easy to apply and dries to a thin waxy film.

I've bought mine at places like West Marine.

Give it a shot. ;)

G

·
I have only experienced these minor problems with my 3 year old Monster on rainy days;

-The seat gets wet, cause the rain penetrates the seat cover and the seat padding gets soaking wet.
-The neutral light stays on
-The idling rpms increase.

When the bike dries up, the problems go away.

Slim

G

·
I've lefdt my bike in the rain, covered. I found that water does get into the interior outer lips of the gas tank. Fact in case is two days ago; I removed my Dowco cover and tried to open the gas tank only to be halted by a frozen lock! Water got into the key hole and froze.

R.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This has brought to mind a possible rainy day gremlin, the position of the front coil on my S4.
I had an sv650 on which the front plug lead started arcing on a run through Glencoe in torrential rain (normal Scottish weather) I knew what was wrong when it started missing then only running on one, what I didn't know was the grief involved in fixing it. I ended up grovelling on my knees in a puddle in Fort William with freezing fingers, cursing the shittock who designed such a machine that requires the removal of the bloody radiator bolts in order to create enough room to pull the 6 inch long plug lead out! Anyway, one tube of RTV from the garage shop later, the lead was waterproofed for life and the wee bike was a twin again.
That front coil and it's wires on the S4 look like trouble waiting to happen. Any Alaskan types out there who know about riding an S4 in the rain?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just remembered a poor soul I read about in Classic bike, who didn't know what pain was until one rainy day a magneto lead on his Royal Enfield twin came away from the plug and fell into his wet wellington boot.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Same here, I had to ride home in the pouring rain, and then the next day my key was hard to get into the ignition.It went to FBF for mods the very next day so they checked it out... yes, it was ice in the ignition, he said try to cover at all times and to avoid spraying there when bathing your beauty!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I rode to work today and parked in the back.
You parked in the back, I hope you can see your poor Monster!!
I left my cover at home because it's so bulky to carry.
Can you leave your cover at work, thats what I do. Also when I need to carry it, I fold it to about 12-15" the place a bungee cord in it, and roll it up( with the bungee cord in the center), then I place a velcro strap around the roll to hold everything in place, then that is attached to my seat behind me.Very convenient and simple!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sadly, I do not get to see my monster while at work. The parking lot is in the back and hidden by a tree ridge. I was spoiled at my last job. Had a garage specifically to park my monste in, day or night. Now the poor gal is spending the nights outdoors. Plus side is I ride twice as much now. I suppose I should buy a second cover to keep at work. BTW, how many posts does it take to reach each rank?

G

·
Hey everyone, gotta question. I have found myself paranoid of my bike parked in the rain. I rode to work today and parked in the back. Couple hours later it is DUMPING rain. I left my cover at home because it's so bulky to carry. My question is, how concerned should I be? My bike (unfortunately) stays outdoors. I put a cover on everynight but still get rust on my chain. I'm a newby and just discovered that I should be lubing the chain every few hundred miles ( which I am now). Are rain sessions like this likely to damage a bike? Thanks for any and all input. I can't say enough about how helpful this webpage has been for me.

you want to live in britain m8, it pisses down regular over here ffs

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Saxman, the very chap.
Could you tell me if the S4 splutters in the rain, or is the Triumph for rainy days? I had a TBS which was nice but a big lump of a bike, have ridden an RS and speed triple which were more nimble though. Anything you think I should know, drop me an email.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
When I owned motorcycles that lived outdoors, I would liberally coat everything with WD40. Things not wd40'd are: bodywork, tires, and brake discs. This helped the black plastic stay black and various fasteners not rust.

:) Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts